1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion vectors in cylindrical to cartesian coordinates

1. Feb 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It's just an example in the textbook. A vector in cylindrical coordinates.
    A=arAr+aΦAΦ+azAz
    to be expressed in cartesian coordinates.
    Start with the Ax component:
    Ax=A⋅ax=Arar⋅ax+AΦaΦ⋅ax

ar⋅ax=cosΦ
    aΦ⋅ax=-sinΦ

Ax=ArcosΦ - AΦsinΦ

Looking at a figure of the unit vectors I get it. At the same time I just don't understand why ArcosΦ isn't enough to get the magnitude of the Ax component.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because unit vector ##\hat{x}## has two components, one in the ##\hat{r}## direction and one in the ##\hat{\phi}## direction both of which depend on the angle ##\phi##. So when you express ##\hat{x}## as in ##A_x\hat{x}##, in terms of cylindrical unit vectors, you get two components which means you need the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of ##A_x##.

4. Feb 12, 2017 #3
    If I have a point r=4, phi=pi/8 and z=z; in cylindrical coordinates.
    sqrt( (r*cos(phi) )2 + (r*sin(phi) )2 ) = 4
    So taking r*cos(phi) as the x component and r*sin(phi) as the y component seems to be enough to get the same point represented in both coordinate systems? What am I missing?

5. Feb 12, 2017 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose I gave you vector
    $$\vec{A}=3\hat{a}_r-2 \hat{a}_{\phi}+4 \hat{z}$$
    How would you proceed to find the Cartesian x-component of this vector? You will need the equations that transform the cylindrical unit vectors into the Cartesian unit vectors.

6. Feb 13, 2017 #5
    You did this correctly. In terms of interpretation, ##A_r \cos {\phi}## is only the component of the r component of A in the x direction. You also need the component of the ##\phi## component of A in the x direction. This is your ##-A_{\phi}s\sin{\phi}##

7. Feb 14, 2017 #6
    Thank you, I think I just didn't think of that you'll need both the Ax component and the Ay component of the vector to get the x coordinate.

8. Feb 14, 2017 #7
    I think you meant Ar and Atheta

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted