1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transform flow around a cylinder to cartesian

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flow field is considered to be steady two-dimensional and can be described by the following
    velocity components in the xy- or r[tex]\theta[/tex]-plane at the front half of the cylinder:
    [tex]
    u_r=V\cos\theta\left(1-\frac{a^2}{r^2}\right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    u_{\theta}=-V\sin\theta\left(1+\frac{a^2}{r^2}\right)
    [/tex]

Question: Transform this system from cylindrical coordinates into cartesian coordinates and give [tex]u_x[/tex], [tex]u_y[/tex] and [tex]u_z[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The link between cartesian and cylindrical coordinates is:
    [tex] x = x [/tex]
    [tex]y = r \cos \theta[/tex]
    [tex]z = r \sin \theta[/tex]

or the other way around:
    [tex] x = x [/tex]
    [tex]r^2 = x^2+y^2[/tex]
    [tex]\theta =tan^{-1}(y/x)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For [tex]u_r[/tex] I take 1 term r outside the brackets and then transform to get:
    [tex]
    u_r=V y \left(\frac{1}{x^2+y^2}-\frac{a^2}{\left(x^2+y^2\right)^3}\right)
    [/tex]
    And similarly for [tex]u_{\theta}[/tex] I get:
    [tex]
    u_{\theta}=-V x \left(\frac{1}{x^2+y^2}+\frac{a^2}{\left(x^2+y^2\right)^3}\right)
    [/tex]

This is where I get stuck, because I don't know how to separate the x and y parts of [tex]u_{\theta}[/tex] and [tex]u_{r}[/tex] to find the velocities in cartesian coordinates. Does anyone have any hints?!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You want to find an expression of some vector u in Cartesian coordinates. In other words you're interested in [itex]\mathbf{u}=u_x \mathbf{\hat{x}}+u_y \mathbf{\hat{y}}+u_z \mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex]. However you have the vector u as [itex]\mathbf{u}=u_x \mathbf{\hat{x}}+u_r \mathbf{\hat{r}}+u_\theta \mathbf{\hat{\theta}}[/itex]. To get your answer you need to find a relation between the Cartesian and cylindrical unit vectors. You can find this relation in your book or derive it yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook