Transformation of covariant vector components

In summary, Riley Hobson and Bence define covariant and contravariant bases for a position vector \textbf{r}(u_1, u_2, u_3) as \textbf{e}_i = \frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial u^{i}} and \textbf{e}^i = \nabla u^{i}. In the primed co-ordinate system, the equations become \textbf{e}^{'}_{i} = \frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial u^{'i}} and \textbf{e}^{'i} = \nabla u^{'i}. From the chain rule,
saadhusayn
Riley Hobson and Bence define covariant and contravariant bases in the following fashion for a position vector $$\textbf{r}(u_1, u_2, u_3)$$:

$$\textbf{e}_i = \frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial u^{i}} $$
And

$$ \textbf{e}^i = \nabla u^{i} $$

In the primed co-ordinate system the equations become
$$\textbf{e}^{'}_{i} = \frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial u^{'i}} $$
And
$$ \textbf{e}^{'i} = \nabla u^{'i} $$
From the chain rule we have that
$$\frac{\partial u^j}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u^j}{\partial u^{'i}} \frac{\partial u^{'i}}{\partial x}$$
The next step (which I do not understand) is this:
$$ \textbf{e}^j = \frac{\partial u^j}{\partial u^{'i}} \textbf{e}^{'i}$$

How does this last step follow from the previous one? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the chain rule to the definition of the basis.

What is the transformation of covariant vector components?

The transformation of covariant vector components is a mathematical concept in physics and mathematics that describes how the components of a vector change when the coordinate system in which it is represented changes. It is also known as a change of basis or a change of coordinates.

What is the purpose of transforming covariant vector components?

The transformation of covariant vector components allows us to express a vector in different coordinate systems, making it easier to solve problems and understand physical phenomena. It also helps us to unify different theories and equations that may use different coordinate systems.

How is the transformation of covariant vector components calculated?

The transformation of covariant vector components is calculated using a mathematical tool called a transformation matrix. This matrix is a set of numbers that represent the relationship between the old and new coordinate systems and can be used to convert the vector components from one system to another.

What is the difference between covariant and contravariant vector components?

Covariant and contravariant vector components are two different ways of representing the same vector. Covariant components are measured along the basis vectors of the coordinate system, while contravariant components are measured perpendicular to the basis vectors. The transformation of covariant vector components involves transforming the basis vectors themselves, while the transformation of contravariant vector components does not.

What are some real-world applications of the transformation of covariant vector components?

The transformation of covariant vector components is used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It is also used in computer graphics to rotate and scale objects in three-dimensional space. Additionally, it has applications in robotics, control theory, and machine learning.