1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation + root of a quadratic.

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2sqrt (x^2-2), sqrt (4(x^2-2)), x^2.

The first 2 formulas are the same thing. However I want to how I would explain the transformation of x^2 to either or of those. I have tried a myriad of things to try get x^2 to any of those other two graphs. A quick answer would be appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2
    for a test a tomorrow. Only thing I dont really get quadratic + root + transformation.

How would I write X^2-9 rooted then stretched horizontally by a factor of 4 and y by a factor of 2 then right 2 and down 1.

I will understand the idea if someone just solves this for me.

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I) Subtract 2 from y= x^2. Since that is a change in y, it moves the graph down two positions vertically.

II) Multiply that by 4. That "stretches" the graph vertically, by a factor of 4.

III) Take the square root. That will be a much more complicted change graphically, "stretching" vertically as long as 4(x^2- 2)< 1, "contracting" if 4(x^2- 2)> 1, with the amount of "stretch" or "contraction" depending upon x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook