Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformations taking straight lines to straight lines

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    On R^n, I'd say the only smooth transformations taking straight lines to straight lines are the affine transformations.

Would I be right saying that?:smile:

How would one go about proving that?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2
    I believe so.

Best wishes

Pete

4. Oct 28, 2006 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I'm not mistaken, Affine Transformations require that parallelism be preserved... however, Projective Transformations also take straight lines to straight lines without requiring parallelism.

5. Oct 28, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not familiar with the terminology used here, but surely if a map takes a straight line to another straight line, it is made of a translation + a rotation. So something like

6. Oct 29, 2006 #5
    The problem here then is that on R^n (as opposed to R^n unioned with an (n-1)-sphere at infinity) the transformation wouldn't be onto. In other words, if a transformation is a bijection on R^n and maps lines to lines, it must needs to map parallel lines to parallel lines.

If we're talking about non-bijections as well, then the projective transformations might be allowable.

7. Oct 29, 2006 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can also do a reflection

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?