Transformer exceeding its rated maximum temperature

In summary, the transformer can supply a load of 600 kVA for one hour before it reaches its max temperature of 24.33 deg.
clembo

Homework Statement

An oil-filled transformer has a c.m.r. of 500 kVA which allows it to run continuously in an ambient of 35°C with an oil temperature rise of 50°C. The transformer has a time constant of 1.5. hours and the ratio of copper losses to iron losses at c.m.r. is 1.5:1.

After switch-on, the transformer supplies a load of 600 kVA for one hour and the load then rises to 750 kVA. Calculate the period of time that the transformer can supply this load without exceeding its rated maximum temperature. Sketch the heating curves for the two loads.[/B]

Homework Equations

The temperature rise of a transformer is given by the equation
[/B]
-t/τ
θ = θm ( 1 - e )

where

θ is the temperature rise at any time t,
θm is the final steady temperature,
τ is the heating time constant (determined by the heat capacity and efficiency of cooling).

The Attempt at a Solution

From the above equation I understand the temperature rise, final steady temperature and time constant. But what does anyone know what the "e" signifies. Any help on this question would be very appreciated. I can't find much information on this topic online.

Many thanks

Andy[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Another thing - it is not really clear in your notation, but it should be $$θ = θm(1 - e^{-t/τ})$$
to indicate exponential "decay" upward toward θm.

scottdave said:
Another thing - it is not really clear in your notation, but it should be $$θ = θm(1 - e^{-t/τ})$$
to indicate exponential "decay" upward toward θm.
Thank you Scottdave that is very helpful.

So far I have:

The max temperature my oil filled transformer can handle without damage or ageing occurring is 85 deg.

With an ambient temperature of 35 deg and a load of 500 kVA the transformer will run continuously quite happy.

My transformer time constant is 1.5
Ratio of copper losses to iron losses at CMR is 1.5:1

For a 500 kVA transformer I can work out using:

θ=θm(1−e−t/τ)

= 50(1-e-t/1.5)

=24.33 deg

This would mean that my transformer is running at 59.33 deg

I am struggling to work out where to go from here. Is it just a % of this figure as 600 kVA is 20% overloaded?

If you highlight the characters you want superscript then press the x2 button above the textbox.

1. What is the rated maximum temperature for a transformer?

The rated maximum temperature for a transformer is the highest temperature that the transformer can safely operate at without damaging its components.

2. What happens if a transformer exceeds its rated maximum temperature?

If a transformer exceeds its rated maximum temperature, it can cause damage to its insulation and other components, leading to potential equipment failure or fire.

3. What are the possible causes of a transformer exceeding its rated maximum temperature?

The most common causes of a transformer exceeding its rated maximum temperature include overloading, high ambient temperatures, poor maintenance, and faulty components.

4. How can the temperature of a transformer be monitored to prevent it from exceeding its rated maximum temperature?

Temperature sensors can be installed to monitor the temperature of a transformer and provide alerts if it exceeds its rated maximum temperature. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any issues that may lead to overheating.

5. Can a transformer be repaired if it has exceeded its rated maximum temperature?

In some cases, a transformer can be repaired if it has exceeded its rated maximum temperature. However, if the damage is extensive, it may need to be replaced. It is important to consult a qualified electrician or engineer to assess the damage and determine the best course of action.