Transformer Regulation Homework: Hughes Electrical Book

In summary, the conversation is about solving equations related to transformers. The individual has used the Hughes electrical book for reference and is unsure if their equations are correct. Another person provides advice on using the primary rated current in the regulation equation and finding the added resistance at the primary side. They also clarify the use of the square root of three and equivalent resistance referred to the primary. The conversation ends with the individual thanking the other person and mentioning their cat.
billyray

Homework Statement

upload_2018-3-11_20-38-40.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

I have used the Hughes electrical book for the equations to solve the above. I have very little notes from college to help. I have found these equations fit and am confident on it but not 100% can anyone who knows transformers please advise if they think i am right or wrong on the equations. i am finding it hard but have done my best.

The Attempt at a Solution

uploaded

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-11_20-38-40.png
    upload_2018-3-11_20-38-40.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 847
  • scan0003.pdf
    644.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The a part it is correct. Part b 2% of 415 is o.k. but in the regulation equation you have to employ the primary rated current: 200x1000/sqrt(3)/415. When you'll find R subtract 0.01 and this will be the added resistance at primary side[415 V].Then you have to calculate this resistance as if it is at secondary side.

how comes I need to divide 200x 1000 by square route of three?

Do you mean R as equivalent resistance referred to primary?

is this better?

Attachments

• transformers.pdf
    104.2 KB · Views: 230
o.k.

you mean its correct?

yes.

Thanks so much Babadag

I like your cat by the way.

Thank you, billyray. My cat is called Pitsush. She is 10 years old and very intelligent

Related to Transformer Regulation Homework: Hughes Electrical Book

1. What is transformer regulation?

Transformer regulation refers to the ability of a transformer to maintain a consistent output voltage despite changes in the input voltage or load. It is a measure of a transformer's efficiency and is typically expressed as a percentage.

2. How is transformer regulation calculated?

To calculate transformer regulation, the difference between the no-load (input) voltage and the full-load (output) voltage is divided by the full-load voltage and multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What factors affect transformer regulation?

There are several factors that can affect transformer regulation, including the transformer's design, the quality of the materials used, the size and type of the transformer, and the load on the transformer. Temperature and aging can also impact regulation over time.

4. Why is transformer regulation important?

Transformer regulation is important because it determines the efficiency and reliability of a transformer. A high regulation percentage means that the transformer is less efficient and may cause fluctuations in the output voltage, which can damage equipment. Low regulation is desirable for optimal performance.

5. How can transformer regulation be improved?

Transformer regulation can be improved by using high-quality materials, proper design and sizing, and regular maintenance. Using voltage regulators or tap-changing transformers can also help to improve regulation by compensating for fluctuations in the input voltage.