Transformer equations in the Hughes book

In summary, the primary winding resistance in a transformer that is to have 2% regulation at unity power factor is (N1/N2)2 Rs.
billyray
<<Moderator's note. This question go no answers in the homework forum. I hope it might do better here>>

1. Homework Statement

A 415V to 11 kV transformer has a rating of 200 kVA. The winding resistance and leakage reactance when referred to the primary are 0.014 Ω and 0.057 Ω respectively.

(b) In designing a particular 415V to 11 kV, 200 kVA transformer, the primary winding resistance is to be 10 mΩ. Find the maximum winding resistance of the secondary winding if the transformer is to have 2% regulation at unity power factor.

Homework Equations

they are included

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working from a Hughes electrical book to get my equations but the forums I have looked at do not agree with my answers. the book seem a good place to get the equations though

is this all i need RS = [ R'P - RP ] * n^2

In a previous post the equations by rude man go further than mine by a more complex method. I presume he's right
: assume primary current = ip.
Then primary resistance power loss is Pp = ip2 Rp
But if we reflect into the secondary the power loss must be the same: Ps = is2 Rs.
But is/ip = N1/N2 so Ps = (N1/N2)2 ip2 Rs = ip2 Rp.
So Rp = (N1/N2)2 Rs
or Rs = (N2)/N1)2 Rp. For your step-up transformer, (N2/N1) = 702.56
so Rs = 702.56 Rp.

i am very worried about this he seems to go further than the book which does not account reflection. Is this because of the unity involved?

I tried hard to get this far but i feel i have missed something not in my book. Transformers are something i don't look at at all. Also have I asked too much for help because no one seems to reply.i rushed the second equation mixing up v1 and v2 it had been a week since i did first question i did not look at question and concentrated on answer so mucked up. i will try again

Attachments

• 5.pdf
    644.4 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This question go no answers in the homework forum. I hope it might do better here in EE.

I have rewritten my work. It is slightly different from Rude mans answer. Has anyone any advise please. I have attached files

Attachments

• transformers.pdf
    104.2 KB · Views: 275

1. What are transformer equations?

The transformer equations in the Hughes book refer to mathematical equations that describe the behavior and operation of transformers. They are used to calculate the voltage, current, and power in different parts of the transformer.

2. Why are transformer equations important?

Transformer equations are important because they help us understand how transformers work and how to design and operate them efficiently. They also allow us to predict the performance of a transformer under different conditions.

3. How many transformer equations are there?

There are three main transformer equations: the voltage equation, the current equation, and the power equation. These equations are interrelated and can be used to solve for different variables in a transformer circuit.

4. Can you explain the voltage equation for transformers?

The voltage equation for transformers states that the ratio of the output voltage (Vout) to the input voltage (Vin) is equal to the ratio of the number of turns in the secondary winding (Ns) to the number of turns in the primary winding (Np). In other words, Vout/Vin = Ns/Np. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

5. Are there any limitations to the transformer equations?

Yes, the transformer equations assume ideal conditions and do not take into account losses such as resistance, leakage inductance, and core losses. In real-world applications, these losses can affect the performance of a transformer and may need to be considered in the design process.