Transforming a sum to another one.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a sum involving complex numbers and exponents and how changing the value of q affects the result. The participants try to dissect the sums and look for patterns, but eventually one of them realizes the solution to the problem.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
In the next paper:
http://www.math.psu.edu/vstein/alg/antheory/preprint/andrews/lew4.pdf

In page 7, in (21) I don't understand how does changing from q to -q gives the RHS in (5) in page 2, obviously changing gives the LHS in (5), but I don't see how it gives the RHS in (5).

Any tips?

I tried dissecting to sums that passes through all n which are divisble by 2 and all sums that aren't, and noticing that 6n+1=3(2n)+1 , 6n+4=3(2n+1)+1, 6n+2=3(2n)+2, 6n+5=3(2n+1)+2.
but I didn't get far with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't speak for others, but I'm guessing your lack of responses so far is because instead of taking the time to just post the equations in question, you expect your readers to download a pdf and chase down the references.

No problem.

I have the next sum:
[tex]1-2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{q^{6n+5}}{1-q^{6n+5}}-\frac{q^{6n+1}}{1-q^{6n+1}}+\frac{q^{6n+2}}{1+q^{6n+2}}-\frac{q^{6n+4}}{1+q^{6n+4}})[/tex]
and this sum ought to be the next sum:
[itex]1+2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{3n+1}}{1-q^{3n+1}} -\frac{q^{3n+2}}{1-q^{3n+2}})+4(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{12n+4}}{1-q^{12n+4}}-\frac{q^{12n+8}}{1-q^{12n+8}})[/itex]

Last edited:
Is the second equation missing a bracket after the 12n + 4? Should it be:

[itex]1+2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{3n+1}}{1-q^{3n+1}} -\frac{q^{3n+2}}{1-q^{3n+2}})+4(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{12n+4}}{1-q^{12n+4}}-\frac{q^{12n+8}}{1-q^{12n+8}})[/itex]

Yes, Stephen.

The paper mentions that [itex] q [/itex] is a complex number with modulus < 1.

I think you have accidentally reversed two terms in your first equation.

Is the problem this:

Define
[tex]S(q) = 1-2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{q^{6n+1}}{1-q^{6n+1}}-\frac{q^{6n+5}}{1-q^{6n+5}}+\frac{q^{6n+2}}{1+q^{6n+2}}-\frac{q^{6n+4}}{1+q^{6n+4}})[/tex]

Show
[itex]S(-q) = 1+2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{3n+1}}{1-q^{3n+1}} -\frac{q^{3n+2}}{1-q^{3n+2}})+4(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{12n+4}}{1-q^{12n+4}}-\frac{q^{12n+8}}{1-q^{12n+8}})[/itex]

Yes this is the problem, thought I think I have given S(-q) in the first line of latex.
I mean if you plug -q instead of q in S(q) you get:
[tex]1-2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{q^{6n+5}}{1-q^{6n+5}}-\frac{q^{6n+1}}{1-q^{6n+1}}+\frac{q^{6n+2}}{1+q^{6n+2}}-\frac{q^{6n+4}}{1+q^{6n+4}})[/tex]

I mean we have [tex]S(q)=1-2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} -\frac{q^{6n+5}}{1+q^{6n+5}}+\frac{q^{6n+1}}{1+q^{6n+1}}+\frac{q^{6n+2}}{1+q^{6n+2}}-\frac{q^{6n+4}}{1+q^{6n+4}})[/tex]
I plugged -q instead of q and got the above in post 7.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe it was simpler to let people read the paper!

Fixing my mistake in the signs, is the problem:

[itex] q [/itex] is a complex number with modulus < 1.

Define
[tex]S(q) = 1-2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{q^{6n+1}}{1+q^{6n+1}}-\frac{q^{6n+5}}{1+q^{6n+5}}+\frac{q^{6n+2}}{1+q^{6n+2}}-\frac{q^{6n+4}}{1+q^{6n+4}})[/tex]

Show
[itex]S(-q) = 1+2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{3n+1}}{1-q^{3n+1}} -\frac{q^{3n+2}}{1-q^{3n+2}})+4(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{12n+4}}{1-q^{12n+4}}-\frac{q^{12n+8}}{1-q^{12n+8}})[/itex]

Yes.

My only idea this morning is to try a more elaborate version of your original approach.

Define
[tex]S(q) = 1-2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{q^{6n+1}}{1+q^{6n+1}}-\frac{q^{6n+5}}{1+q^{6n+5}}+\frac{q^{6n+2}}{1+q^{6n+2}}-\frac{q^{6n+4}}{1+q^{6n+4}})[/tex]

Let [itex] R(q) = S(-q) [/itex]
As you pointed out in your earlier post,

[tex] R(q) = 1-2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{q^{6n+5}}{1-q^{6n+5}}-\frac{q^{6n+1}}{1-q^{6n+1}}+\frac{q^{6n+2}}{1+q^{6n+2}}-\frac{q^{6n+4}}{1+q^{6n+4}})[/tex]

Let

[itex]T(q) = 1+2(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{3n+1}}{1-q^{3n+1}} -\frac{q^{3n+2}}{1-q^{3n+2}})+4(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{q^{12n+4}}{1-q^{12n+4}}-\frac{q^{12n+8}}{1-q^{12n+8}})[/itex]

For a given positive integer v, we can try to analyze whether the terms involving [itex] q^v[/itex] are the same in R(q) and T(q). This involves various cases.

For example, suppose v is odd. Then in R(q), v appears when there are nonnegative integer solutions for n in either of the equations
6n+1 = v
6n + 5 = v
but if there is a solution to 6n+1 = v, there can't be a solution to 6n+5 = v. So we have two sub-cases to consider. Consider the first case: v = 6n + 1

Where can a v of that form appear in T(q)? It would have to appear with an exponent m so that 3m + 1 = 6n + 1. So it would appear when m = 2n. So in both R(q) and T(q), in this case and sub-case, the term involving the exponent v is [itex] 2 \frac {q^v}{1- q^v} [/itex]

...then we would have to consider all the other cases and sub cases.

I don't really like this approach because it gets into number theory and it doesn't reveal (to me) how one would discover the formula for T(q).

Ok, I solved it, it was rather easy when I think of it, and I am shmuck for not seeing it before.

1. How do you transform a sum to another one?

To transform a sum to another one, you can use various mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. You can also use algebraic equations or apply mathematical properties to transform the sum.

2. Can you give an example of transforming a sum to another one?

Sure, let's say we have the sum 4 + 7. We can transform this sum to another one by adding 1 to both numbers, resulting in 5 + 8. This transformation maintains the same sum but with different numbers.

3. Why would you need to transform a sum to another one?

Transforming a sum to another one can be useful in solving equations, simplifying expressions, or finding equivalent forms of a sum. It can also help in understanding mathematical concepts and patterns.

4. Is there a specific method for transforming a sum to another one?

There is no specific method for transforming a sum to another one. It depends on the specific sum and the desired transformation. However, having a good understanding of mathematical operations and properties can help in finding the most efficient way to transform a sum.

5. Can transforming a sum to another one change its value?

Yes, transforming a sum to another one can result in a different value. For example, dividing both numbers in a sum can result in a smaller value, while multiplying them can result in a larger value. However, the sum remains equivalent, as the transformation can be reversed to obtain the original sum.