1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforming Cartesian to Polar Coordinates

1. Nov 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am currently trying to calculate the moment and products of inertia of a ring rotating about the x axis at the moment the ring lies in the xy plane. The problem is that the notations I have from textbook are denoted for Cartesian coordinates. i.e. Ixx=∑i mi(yi2+zi2), and Ixy=∑imixiyi. How can I convert these to polar coordinates?
    image.jpeg

2. Relevant equations
    x=rcosθ, y=rsinθ, z=?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'd assume that the moment of inertia would become Ixx=∑mr2dθ.

but since the problem is for a ring with linear mass density, I am also wondering must I exclude certain coordinates?

thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You can find descriptions of how to calculate such moments of inertia at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/ihoop.html
    Be careful that for continuous objects, not point masses, you have to use density instead of masses and integrals instead of sums.

For symmetry reasons, you have that Ixy = 0, Ixz = 0, etc., and also Ixx = Iyy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted