Transforming Cartesian to Polar Coordinates

In summary, transforming Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates involves converting a point's location from a rectangular grid to a polar grid. This is achieved by using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance from the origin and then using trigonometric functions to determine the angle from the positive x-axis to the point. This transformation is useful in many applications, such as mapping and navigation, and involves a simple set of equations that can easily be applied to any point in the Cartesian plane.
shanepitts

Homework Statement

I am currently trying to calculate the moment and products of inertia of a ring rotating about the x-axis at the moment the ring lies in the xy plane. The problem is that the notations I have from textbook are denoted for Cartesian coordinates. i.e. Ixx=∑i mi(yi2+zi2), and Ixy=∑imixiyi. How can I convert these to polar coordinates?
image.jpeg

Homework Equations

x=rcosθ, y=rsinθ, z=?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd assume that the moment of inertia would become Ixx=∑mr2dθ.

but since the problem is for a ring with linear mass density, I am also wondering must I exclude certain coordinates?

thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find descriptions of how to calculate such moments of inertia at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/ihoop.html
Be careful that for continuous objects, not point masses, you have to use density instead of masses and integrals instead of sums.

For symmetry reasons, you have that Ixy = 0, Ixz = 0, etc., and also Ixx = Iyy.

Likes shanepitts

1. How do you convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates, you can use the following formulas:

r = √(x² + y²)

θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)

where r is the distance from the origin to the point and θ is the angle formed between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the point to the origin.

2. What is the purpose of converting to Polar coordinates?

Converting to Polar coordinates can be useful in certain scenarios, such as plotting points on a polar coordinate system or solving certain mathematical equations. It can also provide a different perspective and make it easier to visualize certain geometric shapes or patterns.

3. Can you convert negative coordinates to Polar coordinates?

Yes, you can convert negative coordinates to Polar coordinates. The r value will always be positive, representing the distance from the origin. The θ value can be negative or positive, depending on the quadrant in which the point lies.

4. Are there any limitations to using Polar coordinates?

One limitation of using Polar coordinates is that they are not as commonly used as Cartesian coordinates, so it may be more difficult to find resources or tools that support them. Additionally, some mathematical operations may be more complex in Polar coordinates compared to Cartesian coordinates.

5. How can you convert from Polar to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from Polar to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:

x = r cos(θ)

y = r sin(θ)

where x and y represent the coordinates in the Cartesian system, r is the distance from the origin, and θ is the angle formed between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the point to the origin.