How to convert velocity potential from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity potential in Cartesian coordinates for a given stream function in polar coordinates. The speaker asks for help in converting the potential and is directed to standard formulas in engineering textbooks. They also request a link or formula for finding the polar form of 1/4i and 1/z.
rohitgupta

Homework Statement

Alright, here's the question, A stream function for a plane, irrotational, polar-coordinate flow is ψ=9r^2sin^θ. Find out the velocity potential in Cartesian Co-ordinate!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I can easily find out the velocity potential in Polar co-ordinates but then how do I convert it to Cartesian Co-ordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are standard formulas for doing that, in most 2nd-year engineering course textbooks.

Well I did try searching for it in Fox&Mcdonald(the book that I follow), I didn't find it there, maybe I have overlooked it but anyways could you please give me a link or type the formulas here.

Thank You.

would you mind answer this... find the polar form of 1/4i and also 1/z? please give the answer..

1. What is velocity potential in polar form?

Velocity potential in polar form is a mathematical representation of the potential energy of a fluid in a polar coordinate system. It is a scalar field that describes the magnitude and direction of fluid flow at a given point in space.

2. Why would someone want to convert velocity potential from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form?

Converting velocity potential from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form can make calculations and analysis easier, especially when dealing with more complex fluid flow problems. It also allows for more direct comparison with other types of coordinate systems.

3. What is the formula for converting velocity potential from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form?

The formula for converting velocity potential from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form is: V(x,y) = V(r*cos(theta), r*sin(theta)), where V is the velocity potential, r is the distance from the origin, and theta is the angle with the positive x-axis.

4. Are there any limitations to converting velocity potential from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form?

One limitation to converting velocity potential from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form is that it assumes the fluid flow is two-dimensional and does not account for changes in the z-axis. It also assumes the fluid is incompressible and irrotational.

5. Can computer software be used to convert velocity potential from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form?

Yes, there are various software programs and coding languages that can perform the conversion from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form. Some examples include MATLAB, Python, and Wolfram Mathematica.