1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to convert velocity potential from polar form to Cartesian coordinate form!

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Alright, here's the question, A stream function for a plane, irrotational, polar-coordinate flow is ψ=9r^2sin^θ. Find out the velocity potential in Cartesian Co-ordinate!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I can easily find out the velocity potential in Polar co-ordinates but then how do I convert it to Cartesian Co-ordinates?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are standard formulas for doing that, in most 2nd-year engineering course textbooks.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    Well I did try searching for it in Fox&Mcdonald(the book that I follow), I didn't find it there, maybe I have overlooked it but anyways could you please give me a link or type the formulas here.

Thank You.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Nov 23, 2011 #5
    would you mind answer this... find the polar form of 1/4i and also 1/z? please give the answer..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook