1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforming coordinates for a vertical hoop

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bead of mass m slips without friction an a vertically oriented hoop of radius R.
    The hoop rotates around the z axis at a constant rate w.

(question 4 if anyone wants to see the figure)
    http://phstudy.technion.ac.il/~wn114101/hw/wn2010_hw05.pdf" [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

Write the Lagrangian for the system

3. The attempt at a solution

I need to transform coordinates.
    I thought about transforming to spherical ones.

constraints : r = R, [tex] \phi = wt [/tex]

[tex] x = R sin(\theta) cos(wt), y = R sin(\theta) sin(wt) , z = R cos(\theta) [/tex]

does this seem right? because when I try to write the velocity I get a very ugly equation

[tex] \dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2 + \dot{z}^2 = \dot{\theta}^2R^2 + w^2R^2sin^2(\theta) - 2\dot{\theta}wR^2 sin(\theta)sin(wt)cos(wt)cos(\theta) +2\dot{\theta}wR^2cos(\theta)sin(wt)sin(\theta)cos(wt) + \dot{\theta}R^2sin^2(\theta) [/tex]

which simply doesnt look right..

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    never mind.. i just noticed it..

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    That doesn't look ugly! There's two terms that cancel and reduces the problem.

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4
    yea.. thanks.. i noticed it..

a question though

is
    [tex] \frac{m}{2}\left(\dot{\theta}^2R^2 + w^2R^2sin^2(\theta)\right) + mgRcos(\theta)[/tex]

the energy in the system?

6. Nov 24, 2009 #5
    This would be the Lagrangian, but not the energy. Your potential should be negative due to the use of [itex]\cos\theta[/itex].

7. Nov 24, 2009 #6
    the Lagrangian is

[tex] L = \frac{m}{2} \left(\dot{\theta}^2R^2 + w^2R^2sin^2(\theta) + \dot{\theta}R^2sin^2(\theta)\right) - mgRcos(\theta) [/tex]

from which i've derived the hamiltonian according to

[tex] H = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}}\dot{\theta} - L [/tex]

which is what i wrote below. what i'm wondering is, is this the energy?

8. Nov 24, 2009 #7

You seem to be adding something here. Where did [tex]\dot{\theta}R^2sin^2(\theta)[/tex] come from? Your kinetic energy should be:

[tex]
    T=\frac{1}{2}m\left(\dot{R}^2+R^2\dot{\theta}^2+R^2\sin^2\theta\dot{\phi}^2\right)=\frac{1}{2}m\left(R^2\dot{\theta}^2+R^2\sin^2\theta\dot{\phi}^2\right)
    [/tex]

Also, your kinetic energy should be negative, so in the Lagrangian it should be positive: [itex]L=T-V=T+mgR\cos\theta[/itex].

9. Nov 24, 2009 #8
    [tex] T = \frac{m}{2} (\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2 + \dot{z}^2) [/tex]
    and according to my first post, you can see where all the terms came from.
    also, [tex] \dot{R} = 0 [/tex]
    a small mistake, the last term should be [tex] \dot{\theta}^2R^2sin^2(\theta) [/tex]

10. Nov 24, 2009 #9
    I know that R-dot is zero, I did cancel it in my equation. But I think you are confusing [tex]\dot{\mathbf{r}}\cdot\dot{\mathbf{r}}[/tex] with [tex]\dot{r}^2[/itex]. Remember that both your position and velocities are vectors, so when you see the square term, you must think to take the dot product. Your kinetic energy should be as I wrote it above.

I probably should have caught it in the first post, but I did just wake up about an hour and a half ago...

11. Nov 24, 2009 #10
    I'm trying to see what i did wrong and i can't find it. Can you see it?

12. Nov 24, 2009 #11
    I get:

[tex]
    \dot{x}^2=\dot{\theta}^2R^2\cos^2\theta\cos^2\phi+\dot{\phi}^2R^2\sin^2\theta\sin^2\phi-2\dot{\phi}\dot{\theta}R^2\sin\theta\sin\phi\cos\theta\cos\phi
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \dot{y}^2=\dot{\theta}^2R^2\cos^2\theta\sin^2\phi+\dot{\phi}^2R^2\sin^2\theta\cos^2\phi+2\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi}R^2\sin\theta\sin\phi\cos\theta\cos\phi
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \dot{z}^2=\dot{\theta}^2R^2\sin^2\theta
    [/tex]

So adding them together

[tex]
    \dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2=\dot{\theta}^2R^2\cos^2\theta\cos^2\phi+\dot{\phi}^2R^2\sin^2\theta\sin^2\phi-2\dot{\phi}\dot{\theta}R^2\sin\theta\sin\phi\cos\theta\cos\phi+\dot{\theta}^2R^2\cos^2\theta\sin^2\phi
    [/tex]

[tex]
    +\dot{\phi}^2R^2\sin^2\theta\cos^2\phi+2\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi}R^2\sin\theta\sin\phi\cos\theta\cos\phi+\dot{\theta}^2R^2\sin^2\theta
    [/tex]

Clearly those two cross terms cancel,

[tex]
    \dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2=\dot{\theta}^2R^2\cos^2\theta\cos^2\phi+\dot{\phi}^2R^2\sin^2\theta\sin^2\phi+\dot{\theta}^2R^2\cos^2\theta\sin^2\phi+\dot{\phi}^2R^2\sin^2\theta\cos^2\phi+\dot{\theta}^2R^2\sin^2\theta
    [/tex]

Some trig identities ensue:

[tex]
    \dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2=\dot{\theta}^2R^2\cos^2\theta+\dot{\phi}^2R^2\sin^2\theta+\dot{\theta}^2R^2\sin^2\theta
    [/tex]

A few more trig identities:

[tex]
    \dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2=\dot{\theta}^2R^2+\dot{\phi}^2R^2\sin^2\theta
    [/tex]

13. Nov 24, 2009 #12
    indeed.. i saw where i went wrong. thanks alot!!

so the hamiltonian here is the energy of the system?

14. Nov 24, 2009 #13
    If there is no explicit time dependence in the Lagrangian (as is the case here), the Hamiltonian is also the total energy of the system.

15. Nov 24, 2009 #14

16. Nov 24, 2009 #15
    Not a problem, glad I could help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook