Transforming parabola to straight line

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in transforming the boundary of a given integration domain into a triangle. The domain is defined by three intersecting curves, two of which are straight lines and the third is a parabola. The speaker is looking for a simple way to transform the boundary while keeping all three curves as straight lines. They mention knowing how to straighten the parabola, but their main priority is creating straight boundaries for the domain of integration.
turin
Homework Helper
To the moderator: This isn't a HW question, but it probably sounds like one, so I appologize. Please move this to the HW forum if need be.

I have an integration domain inside three intersecting curves. Two of the curves are straightlines and the third is a parabola. These three boundaries are of the form

[tex]
y=Ax
\, \qquad
y=Bx
\, \qquad
y=(1+x)^2
[/tex]

where A and B are arbitrary constant slopes > 4.
I want to transform the boundary of this domain into a triangle, as simply as possible. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't just want to turn the parabola into a straight line, you want to keep the other straight lines as straight lines as well.

Office_Shredder said:
You don't just want to turn the parabola into a straight line, you want to keep the other straight lines as straight lines as well.
Correct. I already know how to straighten the parabola, e.g. u=(1+x)^2; that's trivial.

BTW, I don't care about the Jacobian; my #1 priority is straight boundaries for the domain of integration.

1. How do you transform a parabola into a straight line?

To transform a parabola into a straight line, you need to apply a transformation known as a translation. This involves shifting the coordinate system to a new origin and then rotating the axis to align with the parabola's symmetry axis.

2. Why would you want to transform a parabola into a straight line?

Transforming a parabola into a straight line can be helpful in simplifying equations and making them easier to solve. It can also make it easier to analyze the behavior of the parabola and make predictions.

3. What is the general equation for a parabola?

The general equation for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This equation can be transformed into a straight line by applying the appropriate transformation.

4. Can any parabola be transformed into a straight line?

Yes, any parabola can be transformed into a straight line as long as the transformation is applied correctly. However, the resulting straight line may not always be a simple linear equation and may still involve some higher degree terms.

5. What are some real-life applications of transforming parabolas into straight lines?

Transforming parabolas into straight lines can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects under the influence of gravity, and in economics, it can be used to model the relationship between supply and demand.