1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transition from pressurised envoronment to vaccum environment

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I wanted to know who has an idea about a mechanism to transit from pressurised environment to vaccum environemtn without losing air.I know airlock does this work but it has some air loss.does anybody have idea?
    I thought about some kind of bulb to be produced at the transition place,is it possible?is there any kind of material to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2
    material like soap bulb but stiffer that cannot transit matter

hi,
    is there some kind of material that is not able to transit air molecules but is able to transit humans through it?something like soap bulb but stiffer that can recover itself if a perturbation occurs in it?

4. Mar 7, 2012 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: material like soap bulb but stiffer that cannot transit matter

There is no such thing available, what you're proposing would be something akin to a force field. You're going to have to use an airlock, there's basically no way around it.

5. Mar 7, 2012 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's no way to do this wihout an airlock. You can pump down an airlock, I'm not sure its a given that you lose air through it...

6. Mar 7, 2012 #5
    But I think we can replace airlock,airlock loses some air each time it opens,though it is about 2 or 3 percent but it is considerable in a spacecraft...

7. Mar 7, 2012 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you're proposing is impossible given current technology- you would need an air-tight seal around whatever passes through the "membrane" (an impossible feat with something like a space suit which is covered on the exterior with fabric) and it would also have to capable of maintaining a non-leaking vacuum seal (also no small task).

8. Mar 7, 2012 #7
    Impossible is impossible!
    The material can be like ambrio around baby when it is born!

9. Mar 7, 2012 #8

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:zzz:

Got any material suggestions that act as a porous membrane to a man in a space suit but not air molecules?

10. Mar 7, 2012 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: material like soap bulb but stiffer that cannot transit matter

Two threads merged.

arimin11 -- in the future, do not multiple post your question across multiple PF forums.

11. Mar 7, 2012 #10

cmb

12. Mar 7, 2012 #11
    Thanks cmb, interesting topic!

13. Mar 9, 2012 #12

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you're suggesting the astronaut should pass through a plasma arc?

14. Mar 9, 2012 #13
    Not exactly pass through plasma arc,but there can be a basic research based on the facts about plasma window,I think it is better than nothing! You see a problem here or have another opinion?

15. Mar 13, 2012 #14

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My opinion is the same- you need an air lock...

16. Mar 16, 2012 #15
    I'm not sure about the effects of plasma on the astronaut's health and his systems.
    How about using force fields or force shields?Any opinions?

17. Mar 16, 2012 #16
    Where are you getting this notion that that sort of technology exists or even is anywhere near usable?

18. Mar 16, 2012 #17
    I don't say it is usable now,but someday it'll be usable and the technology will be developed.So any idea now what the technology will be?

19. Mar 17, 2012 #18

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Let's not bicker people.

Force fields are pure science fiction. The membrane idea is interesting but essentially it's just a fancy airlock, albiet one that uses endocytosis. How about rather than focussing on highly/overly speculative ideas (some of which have no basis in reality) you focus on the engineering problems of airlocks to make them more efficient?

20. Mar 17, 2012 #19
    You mean like recapturing some of the lost air?I've thought about it.My idea is that we transfer high voltage electricity to the air exiting airlock to make it ionized then with the help of a magnetic filed inside the airlock we can collect these air molecules that have gone out of airlock.But there are some flaws to this concept,like high voltage in a room full of oxygen is disaster or these ionized air molecules could harm astronaut's charged systems. Any idea to do this air recapturing ?

21. Mar 24, 2012 #20
    I like this questions. Innovative idea. However, passing through a substance might be possible. But not in a standard suit. As the astronaut is halfway through he will experience air pressure on one side and vacuum on the other. Given that his cross-section will be about 1m^2 that's 10 tonnes. It would put him under a bit of pressure. Suits are designed to take the pressure from the inside not the outside.

To prevent this problem he would have to have a special suit to go through or the substance would have to be very thick. Eitherway we are getting back to an airlock. If you really wanted to prevent air leakage it would be easier to design the airlock to collapse to prevent leakage. So the airlock is made of soft material that surrounds the astronaut when he enters and pushes all the air out. Then the air lock opens and no air is lost.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook