1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translate word problem to equation

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We know relationship between temp and number of chirps per minute is linear. 113 chirps per minute at a 70degrees F. 173 chirps per minute at 80 degrees F.

2. Relevant equations
    In this problem why do we put degrees on top of chirps in finding the slope.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that it would be 80-70/(173-113) because my original answer didnt seem right. Im just curious as to how to know logically through the problem that I would put the chirps on bottom not on top to begin with

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Technically you could do it either way. In this problem, the way it is phrased, it says when the temp is 70 you get 113 cpm and when the temp is 80 you get 173 cpm. So it is suggesting that chirps/minute is a function of temperature. That would suggest temperature is the dependent variable.

The real answer to your question may be in the statement of the problem where it asks you to calculate something. You never stated the question that you were asked to solve in part 1 of the homework template. If I knew that I might be able to give a better answer.

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What's a chirp?

Oops, LKC beat me to it...

5. Aug 26, 2013 #4
    Thank you lkc. You are right, in the question it says right a function that models temp t as a function of chirps per minute N. Thank you.

6. Aug 26, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No birds or crickets where you live?

7. Aug 27, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You, of all people, should know. It's a cw signal when the frequency isn't stable. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted