Translating Quantified statements.

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary: According to the answer key, \exists x[(\forall y L(y,x) \wedge \forall z ( \forall w L(w,z)) \implies z = x))] is the proper translation. However, I the introduction of the variable w is extraneous, that the answer to be simplified roughly to \exists x \forall y [(L(y,x) \wedge \forall z L(y,z)) \implies z = x)] I disagree. First, let's make the first form a bit clearer (not sure what the standard binding order is, and a parenthesis is unmatched):\exists x[
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let L(x, y) be the statement “x loves y,” where the do main for both x and y consists of all people in the world. Use quantifiers to express each of these statements.

g) There is exactly one person whom everybody loves.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't determine the answer myself, so I looked to the answer key for aid. According to the answer key, [itex]\exists x[(\forall y L(y,x) \wedge \forall z ( \forall w L(w,z)) \implies z = x))][/itex] is the proper translation. However, I the introduction of the variable w is extraneous, that the answer to be simplified roughly to [itex]\exists x \forall y [(L(y,x) \wedge \forall z L(y,z)) \implies z = x)][/itex] Would you care to share your opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
According to the answer key, [itex]\exists x[(\forall y L(y,x) \wedge \forall z ( \forall w L(w,z)) \implies z = x))][/itex] is the proper translation. However, I the introduction of the variable w is extraneous, that the answer to be simplified roughly to [itex]\exists x \forall y [(L(y,x) \wedge \forall z L(y,z)) \implies z = x)][/itex]
I disagree. First, let's make the first form a bit clearer (not sure what the standard binding order is, and a parenthesis is unmatched):
[itex]\exists x[(\forall y L(y,x)) \wedge (\forall z ( \forall w L(w,z) \implies z = x))][/itex] .
In your version, the implication at the end has the wrong relationship to L(y,x). Worse, what do you think this translates to: [itex] \forall z L(y,z)[/itex]?

Some authors define the quantifier ##\exists!## to mean there exists uniquely, there exists one and only one. It translates this way:

##\exists! x P(x)## <==> ##\exists x (P(x) \wedge \forall y (P(y) → y = x))## where y is not a free variable of P.

You should verify that the answer given is just a version of ##\exists! x \forall y L(y,x)##.

1. What is the purpose of translating quantified statements?

Translating quantified statements is an essential step in formal logic and mathematical reasoning. It allows us to express complex statements in a clear and concise form, making them easier to understand and evaluate.

2. How do you translate universal statements?

To translate a universal statement, we use the universal quantifier "for all" (∀) and a variable to represent the subjects in the statement. For example, the statement "All humans are mortal" can be translated as "For all x, x is mortal."

3. What is the translation for existential statements?

Existential statements are translated using the existential quantifier "there exists" (∃) and a variable to represent the subjects. For instance, the statement "Some birds can fly" can be translated as "There exists an x such that x can fly."

4. Can quantified statements be translated into different languages?

Yes, quantified statements can be translated into any language as long as the appropriate quantifiers and variables are used. However, some languages may have different symbols or words for quantifiers, so it is important to understand the correct translation rules.

5. What is the importance of using quantified statements in scientific research?

In scientific research, quantified statements help to clarify and formalize hypotheses and theories. They also allow for precise reasoning and evaluation of data, which is crucial in drawing accurate conclusions and making informed decisions.