Transmission of force(elasticity)

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulties the speaker is having while studying Love's Treatise on elasticity. They discuss Hooke's law and the equations of equilibrium for an isotropic body. They also mention the Helmholtz decomposition and how it can be used to separate the displacement vector and applied force into scalar and vector fields. The main topic of discussion is the derivation of the scalar potential equation, which is compared to the problem of electrostatics. The speaker expresses their struggle with understanding the mathematics behind it and asks for book recommendations to help them better understand the theory of potential. The conversation ends with the other person providing some book suggestions and mentioning the importance of understanding classical applied maths to tackle Love's Treatise.
mediocre
Studying from Love's Treatise on elasticity I am having some difficulties.

For an isotropic body under the influence of a force within a finite volume [tex]T[/tex] equiations of equillibrium via Hooke's law are given by :

[tex](\lambda + \mu )(\frac{\partial}{\partial x},\frac{\partial}{\partial y},\frac{\partial}{\partial z})\Delta + \mu\nabla^2(u,v,w) + \rho (X,Y,Z) = 0[/tex]

Displacement vector field [tex](u,v,w)[/tex] and applied force [tex](X,Y,Z)[/tex] can be made, respectively,via Helmholtz decomposition into a curl free scalar field [tex]\phi,\Phi[/tex] and a div free vector field [tex](F,G,H) , (L,N,M)[/tex].

Plugging these relations into the equilibrium equation yields 4 equations,of which one that combines the scalar fields is:

[tex](\lambda + \mu )\nabla^2\phi + \rho \Phi=0[/tex]

Now comes the difficult part (bear with me :) ):

The scalar component of the force [tex] (X,Y,Z) [/tex] can be written :

[tex] \Phi=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\int\int\int(X'\frac{\partial r^-^1}{\partial x}+Y'\frac{\partial r^-^1}{\partial y}+Z'\frac{\partial r^-^1}{\partial z})dx'dy'dz'[/tex]

Where [tex]X',Y',Z'[/tex] denote values of force within T and r is the distance from x,y,z.

My question is why?I don't understand the way why we can write the [tex]\Phi[/tex] via the aforementioned integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this just the compatibility requirement he deals with in articles 16 and 17 on pages 47 - 49?

It would be useful to know where you are coming from on this. I take my hat off to anyone brave enough to attempt Love.

Last edited:
mediocre said:
Studying from Love's Treatise on elasticity I am having some difficulties.

For an isotropic body under the influence of a force within a finite volume [tex]T[/tex] equiations of equillibrium via Hooke's law are given by :

[tex](\lambda + \mu )(\frac{\partial}{\partial x},\frac{\partial}{\partial y},\frac{\partial}{\partial z})\Delta + \mu\nabla^2(u,v,w) + \rho (X,Y,Z) = 0[/tex]

Displacement vector field [tex](u,v,w)[/tex] and applied force [tex](X,Y,Z)[/tex] can be made, respectively,via Helmholtz decomposition into a curl free scalar field [tex]\phi,\Phi[/tex] and a div free vector field [tex](F,G,H) , (L,N,M)[/tex].

Plugging these relations into the equilibrium equation yields 4 equations,of which one that combines the scalar fields is:

[tex](\lambda + \mu )\nabla^2\phi + \rho \Phi=0[/tex]

Now comes the difficult part (bear with me :) ):

The scalar component of the force [tex] (X,Y,Z) [/tex] can be written :

[tex] \Phi=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\int\int\int(X'\frac{\partial r^-^1}{\partial x}+Y'\frac{\partial r^-^1}{\partial y}+Z'\frac{\partial r^-^1}{\partial z})dx'dy'dz'[/tex]

Where [tex]X',Y',Z'[/tex] denote values of force within T and r is the distance from x,y,z.

My question is why?I don't understand the way why we can write the [tex]\Phi[/tex] via the aforementioned integral.

I don't exactly understand what you are asking. Looking at the relevant section (130), all that happens (I think) is a formal evaluation of the general solution.

That said, the notation is archaic and difficult to follow. Can you be a little more specific?

Mediocre's first equation was derived and appears at the bottom of p133 (section 91)
The equation that the query was about was derived and appears on p47 -49 as I said before.

Yes I see that Love does further work on this in section 130.

Unlike some authors, Love does not generally refer to the source of something he has already proved earlier in the treatise. This can cause difficulties when dipping into the book.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if i wasn't clear enough,but my problem was the general solution to the equation of the scalar potential.I can see the analogy with,for an example,the problem of electrostatics:

[tex]\nabla\vec{E}=4\pi\rho[/tex]

But i wanted to learn the mathematics behind it,which is impossible because,as studiot said, there are practically no cited references in his book.
If you could perhaps recommend me a book on theory of potential i would be very grateful.

Yes you really need a good grasp of classical applied maths to tackle Love for he takes no prisoners.

I usually recommend the following a 'light reading'

Div, Grad, Curl and All That by H M Schey

This is a marvellous introduction to the subject. Schey develops all the main suspects without making the math seem difficult. However it is written largely from an electrical point of view. It starts from a mathematical view and develops the physics.

Engineering Field theory by A J BadenFuller

This starts from the physics and develops the necessary mathematics to suit. It covers all the major branches of classical field theory, not just electromagnetism.

If you want to stick with continuum mechanics I will have to look to see what is available, but I think even Timoshenko assumes much mathematical proficiency in his
Theory of Elasticity, co authored with J N Goodier.

There is also a good Russian book that I will have to dig out.

You should look up (Airy) Stress functions.

The following books have good sections on your topic

The mechanics of Fracture and Fatigue by Parker
Advanced Mechanics of Materials by Boresi, Schmidt and Sidebottom
Mechanics of solid Materials Lemaitre and Chaboche (in French), English translation by Shrivastava

Thank you very much.At least I've got some pointers as to where i should be looking...

What is the definition of "transmission of force (elasticity)"?

The transmission of force, also known as elasticity, is the ability of a material to deform under stress and return to its original shape once the stress is removed. It is the property that allows objects to stretch, compress, or bend without permanently deforming.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic materials?

Elastic materials have a high degree of elasticity and can return to their original shape after being stretched or compressed. Inelastic materials, on the other hand, do not have this property and will permanently deform when subjected to stress.

What factors affect the transmission of force in a material?

The transmission of force in a material is affected by its composition, structure, and temperature. Materials with a higher elastic modulus (measure of stiffness) and lower viscosity (resistance to flow) tend to have a higher degree of elasticity.

How is the transmission of force measured?

The transmission of force can be measured using various techniques such as tensile testing, compression testing, and shear testing. These tests involve applying a known amount of stress to a material and measuring the resulting strain (change in shape). The ratio of stress to strain is known as the material's elastic modulus.

What are some real-world applications of the transmission of force?

The transmission of force is an important concept in engineering and design. It is used in the development of materials for construction, automotive, and aerospace industries. It also plays a role in the function of everyday objects such as springs, rubber bands, and clothing materials.