Transmission probability of a massive particle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transmission probability of a potential V=V_0 d[\delta(x-a)+\delta(x-a)] for a particle with mass m and wave number \sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}} incident on the potential. It also mentions the behavior when ka~\pi/2 and provides equations for solving the problem.
mnky9800n

Homework Statement

Consider the potential [tex]V=V_0 d[\delta(x-a)+\delta(x-a)][/tex]. Find the transmission probability of the potential for a particle of mass m and wave number [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}[/tex] incident on the potential. Discuss the behavior when [tex]ka~\pi/2[/tex].

Homework Equations

Schrodinger's Equation
[tex]H\psi=E\psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solutions to SE for each region are as follows:
region 1: a < x
[tex]\psi_1 = e^{ikx}+Re^{-ikx}[/tex]
region 2: -a < x < a
[tex]\psi_2 = Ae^{ikx}+Be^{ikx}[/tex]
region 3: a < x
[tex]\psi_3 = Te^{ikx}[/tex]

Because the [tex]\delta[/tex]-function means the wave function is continuous but the derivative is not at x = a we can say:

[tex]\psi_1(-a) = \psi_2(-a)[/tex]
[tex]\psi_2(a) = \psi_3(a)[/tex]

therefore:

[tex]1+Re^{2ika} = A+Be^{2ika}[/tex]
[tex]A+Be^{-2ika} = T[/tex]

This is where I get stuck. I have no idea where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have 4 unknowns, so you need two more equations to be able to solve for them. Those equations come from considering the derivatives of the wave functions. Integrate the Schrodinger equation between a-ε and a+ε. In the limit as ε→0, you'll get a relationship between the derivatives on the two sides of the delta function. Do the same thing around x=-a. Then you should be in a position to solve for the coefficients.

I'd go into more detail, but I don't have time right now. It's probably done in your book somewhere, or someone else may come by to provide more help if you can't figure it out.

1. What is the transmission probability of a massive particle?

The transmission probability of a massive particle is the likelihood that the particle will pass through a barrier or potential well, based on its energy and the properties of the barrier.

2. How is the transmission probability of a massive particle calculated?

The transmission probability is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the wave function and potential energy of the particle and the barrier.

3. What factors affect the transmission probability of a massive particle?

The transmission probability of a massive particle can be affected by the energy of the particle, the width and height of the barrier, and the mass of the particle.

4. Can the transmission probability of a massive particle be greater than 1?

No, the transmission probability of a massive particle cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 means the particle has a 100% chance of passing through the barrier.

5. What is the relationship between the transmission probability and the potential energy of a barrier?

The transmission probability is inversely proportional to the height of the potential energy barrier. This means that as the barrier height increases, the transmission probability decreases.