Transmission through semiconductor heterojunction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electron transmission function over a potential step in a semiconductor heterojunction. The use of different effective electron masses on either side of the step is necessary to account for current conservation. The resulting T-matrix and transmitted wave amplitude are calculated, and the transmission flux is determined. The conclusion is that there will always be some reflection at a heterojunction potential step with different effective electron masses, even at very large energies. This is similar to the reflection of light at interfaces with different refractive indices.
John Loven
I have calculated the electron transmission function T(E) over a potential step of height V0 using T-matrices. I model a semiconductor heterojunction, which requires different effective electron masses on either side of the step.

The wave functions on either side of the step are planar waves:

Y1(x)=Aexp(ik1x)+Bexp(-ik1x),
Y2(x)=Cexp(ik2x)+Dexp(-ik2x),

where A=1, B=r, C=t, D=0 and

k1 = sqrt(2m1E/hbar),
k2 = sqrt(2m2(E-V0)/hbar).

We have 2 boundary conditions at the step at x = x0:

Y1(x0) = Y2(x0),
1/m1*d/dxY1(x0) = 1/m2*d/dxY2(x0).

Note that the second boundary condition is not the standard one, since we have to account for the different masses, in order to have current conservation.

I calculate the T-matrix M and get the transmitted wave amplitude

t = (M(1,1)*M(2,2)-M(1,2)*M(2,1)) / M(2,2).

I then calculate the transmission flux

T(E) = (k2m1)/(k1m2)*abs(t)^2.

When plotting T(E) it only approaches unity for increasing E, if the masses are equal. If they are not equal T(E) approaches a value less than unity.I'm just wondering if this result is correct? Is there always some reflection at a heterojunction potential step with different effective electron masses, even for very large energies?

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds plausible to me as k's are directly proportional to ##m^{1/2}##.
Same as for light reflection when refractive indices n1 and n2 are different.

1. How does transmission through semiconductor heterojunction work?

Transmission through semiconductor heterojunction occurs when two different types of semiconductors are joined together to create a boundary. This boundary, also known as a heterojunction, allows for the transfer of electrons between the two materials. When an electric field is applied, electrons can move from one semiconductor to the other, resulting in the flow of current.

2. What are the advantages of using semiconductor heterojunctions for transmission?

There are several advantages to using semiconductor heterojunctions for transmission. One of the main advantages is that they can be engineered to have specific electrical properties, allowing for more precise control over the flow of electrons. Additionally, heterojunctions can have a smaller bandgap than homojunctions, allowing for a wider range of wavelengths to be transmitted.

3. Are there any limitations to using semiconductor heterojunctions for transmission?

While semiconductor heterojunctions have many advantages, there are also some limitations. One limitation is that they can be more difficult to manufacture compared to homojunctions. Additionally, heterojunctions can be more susceptible to defects and interface states, which can affect their performance.

4. How do different types of semiconductor heterojunctions affect transmission?

The type of semiconductor heterojunction used can have a significant impact on transmission. For example, a type-I heterojunction has a staggered band alignment, which allows for efficient transfer of electrons. On the other hand, a type-II heterojunction has a broken band alignment, resulting in a lower efficiency of electron transfer.

5. What are some applications of semiconductor heterojunctions for transmission?

Semiconductor heterojunctions have a wide range of applications in transmission, including solar cells, lasers, and transistors. They are also commonly used in optoelectronics, such as light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and photodetectors. Additionally, heterojunctions are used in communications technology, such as in high-speed transistors for wireless communication devices.