Transmittance of Cyclohexane for IR Radiation Through Quartz Viewport

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Jhon Paul
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I am interested to use a pyrometer to measure the temperature of a graphite heater while it is being heated (upto 1200 degC). The heater is located inside a small chamber filled with liquid cyclohexane . For viewing purpose of the pyrometer the chamber is having a viewport of Quartz.

The pyrometer can sense wavelength in the range 2 - 4 micron. I am interested to know whether cyclohexane will transmit the IR radiation to pass through the quartz viewport upto the pyrometer. Will appreciate a reply in this regard.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Jhon Paul said:
(upto 1200 degC). The heater is located inside a small chamber filled with liquid cyclohexane

Can't help with IR (I would start finding the expected wavelength and comparing it with the IR spectra for cyclohexane, no idea if the ranges will overlap though) but I hope your chamber is pressure proof, cyclohexane boils around 80°C.
 
Thanks for your reply. The vessel is not closed and the vapours once formed will be condensed using a separate condenser. In fact I was trying to find IR curve for cyclohexane in the range of 30000 to 60000 cm-1 wave number. Unfortunately i could not get one . If you find any IR curve in that range please do communicate.
 
Finding the IR spectra is not that difficult. Problem is, I don't think these cover the IR range OP mentioned, so they are useless here.
 
I agree with you. The IR curve I have obtained none of them spells anything in that region of 2-4 microns.