Transposition/re-arrangement of equation

• Thread starter russjai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone having trouble rearranging an equation involving algebraic skills. The equation is given as 110=(24/(pi*d^2))+((3.5/(pi*d^4/64))*(d/2), and they are looking to solve for the value of d. They mention knowing that d=70, but are unsure of how to approach the problem. They ask for pointers or a helpful video. Someone responds by suggesting to use the X2 button and to multiply throughout by d3 to make it easier to solve, but notes that the solution will not be a whole number.
russjai
Im having issues with my weak algebraic skills trying to correctly re-arrange the following equation for "d"

110=(24/(pi*d^2))+((3.5/(pi*d^4/64))*(d/2)

i know that d=70 .

I have no idea how to attack this transposition.

Could someone please give me a few pointers or point me to a video that will help?

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi russjai! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
russjai said:
110=(24/(π*d2))+((3.5/(π*d4/64))*(d/2)

if I'm reading it right, that's of the form A = B/d2 + C/d3

you can multiply throughout by d3 to make it Ad3 - Bd - C = 0

there's no easy way to solve that, and the solution certainly won't be a whole number :redface:

1. What is transposition/re-arrangement of equations?

Transposition or re-arrangement of equations is the process of changing the order or form of an equation to solve for a different variable. It involves manipulating the equation using mathematical operations in order to isolate the desired variable on one side of the equation.

2. Why is transposition important in scientific research?

Transposition is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to solve complex equations and make predictions based on mathematical models. It also helps in understanding the relationships between different variables in a system.

3. What are the basic rules of transposition?

The basic rules of transposition include:

• Moving a term from one side of the equation to the other changes its sign.
  • Terms on the same side of the equation can be combined using mathematical operations.
  • When multiplying or dividing both sides of an equation by a number, the number must be non-zero.
  • Square roots can be eliminated by squaring both sides of the equation.
  • Terms with exponents can be eliminated by taking the appropriate root of both sides of the equation.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when transposing equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when transposing equations include:

• Forgetting to apply the operation to both sides of the equation.
  • Not simplifying the equation before transposing.
  • Making sign errors when moving terms from one side to the other.
  • Forgetting to apply the distributive property when moving terms with parentheses.
  • Dividing by zero or taking the square root of a negative number.

5. How is transposition used in real-world applications?

Transposition is used in various real-world applications such as engineering, physics, and finance. It is used to model and solve problems related to motion, energy, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in financial analysis to calculate interest rates and loan payments. In engineering, transposition is used to design and optimize systems such as electrical circuits and mechanical structures.