Traveling 60mph, is it really 88 feet/second?

• Thread starter jakksincorpse
  • Start date
In summary: I was bored driving home today and I was driving 60mph, factory standard tires and rims so the speedometer is correct. In calculation 88 feet per second equals up to 60mph. but in the real world. driving on the highway that sounds very outlandish... my guess would be at most 40 some feet.Why is that?It has something to do with your psyche. Other than that, I can't find any other reasonable answer.sounds reasonable. the more i think about the length of a football field the more 88 feet seems more realistic. because that'd be close from the 0 yard line to the 30 yard line.I figured it was about right but instead of multiplying it out i got
jakksincorpse
i was bored driving home today and i was driving 60mph, factory standard tires and rims so the speedometer is correct

in calculation 88 feet per second equals up to 60mph. but in the real world. driving on the highway that sounds very outlandish... my guess would be at most 40 some feet.

why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has something to do with your psyche. Other than that, I can't find any other reasonable answer.

sounds reasonable. the more i think about the length of a football field the more 88 feet seems more realistic. because that'd be close from the 0 yard line to the 30 yard line.

Your disbelief probably comes from having a poor sense of how long a second is. People tend to think one second is the time it takes to say "one" or the snap of their fingers or something.

Mu naught said:
Your disbelief probably comes from having a poor sense of how long a second is. People tend to think one second is the time it takes to say "one" or the snap of their fingers or something.

It's approximately the time it takes to fully say 'twenty one'.

one third of a football field is a little more than 88 ft. Also, the average running speed is about 20fps

I often find myself spacing out while driving. It's like the car's on autopilot and I'm watching a movie projector. Someone else is taking care of everything. From downshifts to signaling.

My impression, not perception, of speed has also certainly dulled over the years.

Yup!

One of the first numbers I learned.

SonyAD said:
I often find myself spacing out while driving. It's like the car's on autopilot and I'm watching a movie projector. Someone else is taking care of everything. From downshifts to signaling.

My impression, not perception, of speed has also certainly dulled over the years.

There are cars that you drive, and there are cars that drive you. I suggests getting the kind that you drive. It can change a morning commute from being too long to being too short!

http://www.moroccangoldimports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/s2000-drift-1024x480.jpg

Last edited:
Well, this is what I drive:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6033/img1261p.jpg

It's not German. :yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither is the car on the picture above your post.

oh my god! i see where your coming from, i would have thought more like 5 feet/second!

omg, omg, omg!

Dickfore said:
Neither is the car on the picture above your post.

I like French diesels.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9962/img1254x.jpg
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7563/img2590i.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the speed of 60mph converted to feet per second?

To convert from miles per hour (mph) to feet per second (ft/s), you can use the formula: 1 mph = 1.46667 ft/s. This means that if you are traveling at 60mph, you are traveling at 60 x 1.46667 = 88 feet per second.

2. Is the conversion from mph to ft/s accurate?

The conversion from mph to ft/s is accurate because it is based on a standard unit of measurement for speed. However, slight variations may occur due to factors such as air resistance and friction.

3. Why is 88 feet per second considered a high speed?

88 feet per second may not seem very fast compared to other units of speed, but when considering everyday objects and activities, it is considered a high speed. For example, the average person walks at a speed of 3-4 feet per second, so 88 feet per second is more than 20 times faster than walking.

4. How does traveling at 60mph compare to other speeds?

Traveling at 60mph is considered a moderate speed compared to other common speeds. For example, the average speed limit on highways in the United States is 65mph, and the speed of sound is around 767mph. However, it is still a relatively fast speed for everyday travel.

5. Is traveling at 60mph safe?

The safety of traveling at 60mph depends on various factors such as road conditions, weather, and the driver's skill level. Generally, it is considered a safe speed on highways and other designated roads with higher speed limits. However, it is important to always follow traffic laws and drive cautiously to ensure safety while traveling at any speed.