Traveling outside of the Earth's atmosphere

In summary: But that was over 100 years ago. It's now understood to be a consequence of the geometry of spacetime. It's an everyday fact of life for scientists, engineers, and technicians at thousands of places around the world.True, but the effect is very much the same as a change in mass. It's a bit like what your Physics Teacher tells you - "There's no such thing as centrifugal force" but you certainly feel it when your are in the frame of the rotating funfair machine.
sideshow
TL;DR Summary
If space outside of earths atmosphere is a vacuum there should be no friction, therefore constant thrust should produce constant increase in speed eventually moving faster than light.am I crazy for thinking this,or is it possible?
If outer space is a vacuum there is no force in a vacuum to create friction, therefore if a vehicle i.e. spacecraft space shuttle is it a vacuum and produces any amount of thrust it should move a constant through space continuing to add thrust will only make the craft move faster until it eventually moves at a speed greater than anything humanly known even faster Then the speed of light. This is something I have been thinking about for a very long time over a decade but I’ve never had anyone to talk to you about it so I’m posting here

Physics news on Phys.org
sideshow said:
If outer space is a vacuum there is no force in a vacuum to create friction, therefore if a vehicle i.e. spacecraft space shuttle is it a vacuum and produces any amount of thrust it should move a constant through space continuing to add thrust will only make the craft move faster until it eventually moves at a speed greater than anything humanly known even faster Then the speed of light.
The premise is correct, but the conclusion is not. As it turns out, the universe isn't constructed in a Newtonian way, and while you can feel that acceleration for as long as you can maintain the thrust you'll never measure your speed to exceed the speed of light. This is part of what Special Relativity is about.

sideshow said:
continuing to add thrust will only make the craft move faster until it eventually moves at a speed greater than anything humanly known even faster Then the speed of light.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. A constant thrust will, relative to the starting point of the rocket, produce less and less increase in velocity as the speed increases. This effect is almost undetectable at everyday speeds, which is why it went unnoticed for centuries and why we can usually neglect it, but it becomes more and more significant as you approach the speed of light.

sideshow said:
Summary:: If space outside of Earth's atmosphere is a vacuum there should be no friction, therefore constant thrust should produce constant increase in speed eventually moving faster than light.am I crazy for thinking this,or is it possible?

continuing to add thrust will only make the craft move faster until it eventually moves at a speed greater than anything humanly known even faster Then the speed of light.
There are two types of acceleration: proper acceleration and coordinate acceleration. Proper acceleration is the physical acceleration that you feel, measured by an accelerometer. Coordinate acceleration is the second time derivative of the position, and the first time derivative of the velocity.

As you, on your rocket, continue to produce constant thrust you will continually produce constant proper acceleration. A constant proper acceleration, in turn produces coordinate acceleration, but not constant coordinate acceleration. Your speed will always increase, but not without limit. Your coordinate acceleration approaches zero as your velocity approaches c in any inertial frame. Thus you will not exceed the speed of light, but instead you will asymptotically approach c.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller, anorlunda, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Dale said:
Thus you will not exceed the speed of light, but instead you will asymptotically approach c.
But the light traveling around your cabin will still be going at c. So your speed needs to be quoted relative to something. (Just stirrin' things up a bit but we need to keep this stuff in mind.)

Likes Dale
The eternal question for PF: Should I have compassion for the horse? Or get my two licks in?

• Haha
  • Love
Likes cjl, Bystander, russ_watters and 5 others
sideshow said:
constant thrust should produce constant increase in speed
No, it turns out that when you test this idea it doesn't work out to be true. At speeds that are small compared to ##c## it's a very good approximation.

When researchers first encountered this phenomenon they tended to attribute it to an increase in the mass of the moving object. But that was over 100 years ago. It's now understood to be a consequence of the geometry of spacetime. It's an everyday fact of life for scientists, engineers, and technicians at thousands of places around the world.

Likes vanhees71
Mister T said:
It's now understood to be a consequence of the geometry of spacetime.
True, but the effect is very much the same as a change in mass. It's a bit like what your Physics Teacher tells you - "There's no such thing as centrifugal force" but you certainly feel it when your are in the frame of the rotating funfair machine.
As soon as you go beyond Newton, there are lots of effects that don't make sense to our bodies - just to our brains.
The (let's call it) apparent effect of mass change is described in this wiki article although it doesn't strictly follow the recent model.

Mister T said:
No, it turns out that when you test this idea it doesn't work out to be true. At speeds that are small compared to ##c## it's a very good approximation.

When researchers first encountered this phenomenon they tended to attribute it to an increase in the mass of the moving object. But that was over 100 years ago. It's now understood to be a consequence of the geometry of spacetime. It's an everyday fact of life for scientists, engineers, and technicians at thousands of places around the world.
I know I’m going to sound like a total retard here, but what is c ?

sophiecentaur said:
True, but the effect is very much the same as a change in mass.
As long as you don't mind redefining mass as ##\gamma^3 m## and accepting that that applies only when ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{v}## are co-linear.

sideshow said:
, but what is c ?
Speed of light in vacuum.

Likes sideshow
sideshow said:
Summary:: If space outside of Earth's atmosphere is a vacuum there should be no friction, therefore constant thrust should produce constant increase in speed eventually moving faster than light.am I crazy for thinking this,or is it possible?

If outer space is a vacuum there is no force in a vacuum to create friction, therefore if a vehicle i.e. spacecraft space shuttle is it a vacuum and produces any amount of thrust it should move a constant through space continuing to add thrust will only make the craft move faster until it eventually moves at a speed greater than anything humanly known even faster Then the speed of light. This is something I have been thinking about for a very long time over a decade but I’ve never had anyone to talk to you about it so I’m posting here
I now understand, the vehicle can only move as fast as the original thrust no matter what it is because nothing humankind has produced or discovered is faster than the speed of light and the speed of light cannot be harnessed for the purpose of Propulsion

sideshow said:
I now understand, the vehicle can only move as fast as the original thrust
No. That has nothing to do with it. If your rocket has a low exhaust velocity then you will need a much larger mass of fuel. But you are not limited by your exhaust speed. The limit is not based on that, it is based on spacetime geometry.

Likes cjl
sideshow said:
I now understand, the vehicle can only move as fast as the original thrust no matter what it is because nothing humankind has produced or discovered is faster than the speed of light and the speed of light cannot be harnessed for the purpose of Propulsion
Rocket ships can travel many times faster than the velocity of their exhaust. This is entirely normal. We routinely launch craft to escape velocity (11,000 meters per second) using engines with exhaust velocities of 4500 meters per second or less.

Light can be used for propulsion. With anything less than matter-antimatter engines, it is not very energy efficient, but it can be done. Light has the highest energy to momentum ratio of any possible exhaust. That's great if you are mass-limited but terrible if you are energy-limited.

Google for the Tsiolkovsky Rocket Equation for more information about ships traveling faster than their exhaust streams. Tack on the word "relativistic" if you want to know how relativity affects that equation.

Edit: That horse was alive! I swear I saw it twitch!

Likes cjl
Ever since I was a child I found space travel and exploration to be quite fascinating however I am merely a master automotive technician I was never taught physics in high school although physics is something that I’ve had an interest in for quite some time I am now trying to learn everything that I can about the subject.All of the replies to my Quandre are greatly appreciated, as well as the suggestions for reading materials

Likes bob012345
Mister T said:
applies only when a→ and v→ are co-linear.
The effect in a Synchrocyclotron is observed when they are normal to each other (?). Also, the 'increase in mass' was described in a wooly way but, as with a ball on a string, the 'tension' required is not just proportional to v2. Not such a hopelessly dodgy description of what happens as the cognoscenti would have it.
Just imagine what future Scientists are likely to think of our use of terms like Dark Matter and Dark Energy.

sophiecentaur said:
The effect in a Synchrocyclotron is observed when they are normal to each other (?).
Right. That's transverse relativistic mass. One difficulty with relativistic mass is that you can't just convert all the non-relativistic formulas with a single factor of gamma. You end up with ##F=m\gamma a## for transverse acceleration and ##F=m\gamma^3a## for co-linear acceleration. So your value for "relativistic mass" depends on which direction you are accelerating. It's no longer a simple scalar. Instead, it is a concept that complicates as much as it simplifies.

jbriggs444 said:
Right. That's transverse relativistic mass. One difficulty with relativistic mass is that you can't just convert all the non-relativistic formulas with a single factor of gamma. You end up with ##F=m\gamma a## for transverse acceleration and ##F=m\gamma^3a## for co-linear acceleration. So your value for "relativistic mass" depends on which direction you are accelerating. It's no longer a simple scalar. Instead, it is a concept that complicates as much as it simplifies.
Yebbut how would you even begin to put that over to someone who had just grasped the Ds in a klystron and needs to realize there’s an upper limit to the energy?
I’m saying it’s a bit like the duck argument: “If it quacks like a duck” etc. when it could be a goose. Same on your Sunday lunch plate. 😉
Over simplistic perhaps but there are levels to everything.

jbriggs444 said:
Light can be used for propulsion. With anything less than matter-antimatter engines, it is not very energy efficient, but it can be done.
Worth noting that this isn't unique to light, this is always a tradeoff with rockets or momentum thrusters in general. You get the highest energy efficiency (delta v per unit energy) with the lowest exhaust velocity, but that requires an extremely high mass of fuel. You get the best mass efficiency (delta v per unit mass of propellant) with the highest possible exhaust velocity, but that requires far more energy.

Light obviously gives the highest possible exhaust velocity, so it's the limiting case of the second half of my statement above.

Likes sophiecentaur
cjl said:
Light obviously gives the highest possible exhaust velocity, so it's the limiting case of the second half of my statement above.
It doesn't have to be rockets. Light sails are another way.

Sailors versus power boaters.

Sure, my statement above was specific to momentum thrusters (devices that generate thrust by throwing something out the back that contains momentum).

Light sails are cool though - you get twice the delta v for the same amount of light since it's reflected 180 degrees rather than just generated and emitted.

cjl said:
Sure, my statement above was specific to momentum thrusters (devices that generate thrust by throwing something out the back that contains momentum).

Light sails are cool though - you get twice the delta v for the same amount of light since it's reflected 180 degrees rather than just generated and emitted.
If you have a mirrored surface to bounce laser light between you can get thousands of times the ##\Delta{v}##.

375px-Photon-Thrust-Amplification.jpg

It's been done in the lab

Last edited:
Likes hmmm27
bob012345 said:
If you have a mirrored surface to bounce laser light between you can get thousands of times the ##\Delta{v}##.
There is, of course, a limitation based on red shift. You cannot harvest more kinetic energy from the light than went into the light in the first place.

In the limit, you are effectively pushing off from the mirror.

cjl said:
Even better when you pump them using a remote laser in orbit around the Sun. That makes the energy source not part of the mass accelerated.

bob012345 said:

View attachment 297917

It's been done in the lab

How can a laser move an object like that?

jbriggs444 said:
There is, of course, a limitation based on red shift. You cannot harvest more kinetic energy from the light than went into the light in the first place.
Of course, but if you can convert a few percent of the beam energy into useful kinetic energy rather than the miniscule ~##\frac{1}{c}## you get normally , you have something useful.
jbriggs444 said:
In the limit, you are effectively pushing off from the mirror.
That's the desired goal. To make it as close as possible.
sideshow said:
It can if it bounces over a thousand times.

Last edited:
sideshow said:
Light has momentum, it's just usually too small to notice.

1. How do astronauts travel to space?

Astronauts travel to space using specially designed spacecrafts, such as the Russian Soyuz or the American SpaceX Dragon. These spacecrafts are launched into space using powerful rockets and can carry astronauts to the International Space Station or other destinations outside of Earth's atmosphere.

2. What is the experience like for astronauts traveling outside of Earth's atmosphere?

The experience of traveling outside of Earth's atmosphere can vary depending on the mission and destination. Generally, astronauts will experience weightlessness and may also feel the effects of radiation and changes in air pressure. They may also have to adjust to living in a confined space for an extended period of time.

3. How long does it take to travel outside of Earth's atmosphere?

The time it takes to travel outside of Earth's atmosphere depends on the destination and the type of spacecraft being used. For example, it takes about 3 days to travel to the Moon, while it can take several months to reach Mars. The journey to the International Space Station usually takes about 8-9 minutes.

4. What safety precautions are taken for astronauts traveling outside of Earth's atmosphere?

Before traveling outside of Earth's atmosphere, astronauts undergo extensive training and medical evaluations to ensure they are physically and mentally prepared for the journey. They also have specialized equipment and protocols in place to protect them from the dangers of space, such as radiation and microgravity.

5. How does traveling outside of Earth's atmosphere impact the human body?

Traveling outside of Earth's atmosphere can have various effects on the human body. Exposure to radiation and microgravity can cause changes in bone density, muscle mass, and the immune system. Astronauts also often experience changes in their cardiovascular and respiratory systems. However, with proper training and precautions, these effects can be minimized.