1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Traveling Wave Model: transverse wave on a string

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A transverse wave on a string is described by the wave function: y=(0.120m)sin([tex]\frac{\Pi}{8}[/tex]x+4[tex]\Pi[/tex]t) Determine the transverse speed and acceleration of the string at t=0.200s for the point on the string located at x=1.60m. What are the wavelength, period, and speed of propagation of this wave?

2. Relevant equations
    vy= -[tex]\omega[/tex]Acos(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)
    Since f=[tex]\frac{1}{T}[/tex] and [tex]\omega[/tex] is 4[tex]\Pi[/tex] does that mean T=0.500?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to come up with -1.51 for the transverse speed, and I am pretty sure I understand why the acceleration is 0. I am having problems coming up with the wavelength and the proagation speed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Hint: How does k relate to the wavelength?

4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    Hi Doc,

I had tried [tex]\lambda[/tex]= [tex]\frac{k}{2\Pi}[/tex] with k=frac{\Pi}{8} and it didn't work out to the right answer.

5. Jun 24, 2010 #4

Doc Al

What wavelength did you get?

6. Jun 24, 2010 #5
    I got .0625m and the book says it should be 16m

7. Jun 24, 2010 #6

Doc Al

That should be k ≡ 2π/λ.

8. Jun 24, 2010 #7
    So how does that change the relationship between k and [tex]\lambda[/tex]? I couldn't write it as [tex]\lambda[/tex]= [tex]\frac{k}{2\Pi}[/tex]?

9. Jun 24, 2010 #8

Doc Al

No. If [itex]k = 2\pi / \lambda[/itex], then [itex]\lambda = 2\pi / k[/itex]. (Just algebraic manipulation--but make sure you understand it.)

10. Jun 24, 2010 #9
    Oh alright I've got it now. It's those silly little math mistakes that get me every time. Thanks much Doc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook