Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Traveling Wave Model: transverse wave on a string

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A transverse wave on a string is described by the wave function: y=(0.120m)sin([tex]\frac{\Pi}{8}[/tex]x+4[tex]\Pi[/tex]t) Determine the transverse speed and acceleration of the string at t=0.200s for the point on the string located at x=1.60m. What are the wavelength, period, and speed of propagation of this wave?

2. Relevant equations
    vy= -[tex]\omega[/tex]Acos(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)
    Since f=[tex]\frac{1}{T}[/tex] and [tex]\omega[/tex] is 4[tex]\Pi[/tex] does that mean T=0.500?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to come up with -1.51 for the transverse speed, and I am pretty sure I understand why the acceleration is 0. I am having problems coming up with the wavelength and the proagation speed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Hint: How does k relate to the wavelength?

4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    Hi Doc,

I had tried [tex]\lambda[/tex]= [tex]\frac{k}{2\Pi}[/tex] with k=frac{\Pi}{8} and it didn't work out to the right answer.

5. Jun 24, 2010 #4

Doc Al

What wavelength did you get?

6. Jun 24, 2010 #5
    I got .0625m and the book says it should be 16m

7. Jun 24, 2010 #6

Doc Al

That should be k ≡ 2π/λ.

8. Jun 24, 2010 #7
    So how does that change the relationship between k and [tex]\lambda[/tex]? I couldn't write it as [tex]\lambda[/tex]= [tex]\frac{k}{2\Pi}[/tex]?

9. Jun 24, 2010 #8

Doc Al

No. If [itex]k = 2\pi / \lambda[/itex], then [itex]\lambda = 2\pi / k[/itex]. (Just algebraic manipulation--but make sure you understand it.)

10. Jun 24, 2010 #9
    Oh alright I've got it now. It's those silly little math mistakes that get me every time. Thanks much Doc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook