Travelling greater than speed of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of time travel for a particle traveling at speeds greater than the speed of light in a medium with a high refractive index. It is noted that while it is not possible for a particle to travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, it is possible for it to exceed the speed of light in a medium. The conversation also addresses the concept of relativistic mass and its relationship to the speed of light. Ultimately, it is concluded that time travel is not possible for particles traveling at these speeds.
ABHISEK DATTA
It is known that in a medium of refractive index 'n' , the speed of light becomes c/n. So if we can make a medium of high refractive index, then the speed of light will be substantially less in that medium. Then it can be possible to accelerate particles inside that medium at speeds greater than the speed of light in that medium i.e. 'c/n'. Then what will be our observation from an stationary frame of reference ? What will be the observation from the particle's frame of reference ? Will the particle travel in time as it is crossing the speed of light in its surrounding medium ?

Also one problem in reaching the speed of light 'c' in vacuum was that - as the speed of a particle approaches 'c' its relativistic mass increases and at v=c, its mass becomes infinite. But in the case as described above the particle is able to cross the speed of light in that medium (of refractive index 'n') without reaching 'c' , and thus its mass does not become infinite.

So is time travel really possible for that particle in that medium of refractive index 'n' ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ABHISEK DATTA said:
So is time travel really possible for that particle in that medium of refractive index 'n' ?
No. Realize that the limiting speed in relativity is c = 3 x 108 m/s, which happens to be the speed of light in a vacuum, not the speed of light in some medium.

yeah, i know about Cerenkov radiation, but that doesn't quite answer my question

And, yeah its true that the limiting speed in relativity is 3x10^8 m/s. But my main question is whether the particle will be able to experience time travel or not ? You can assume that the medium of refractive index 'n' is the world for that particle, and in its world the particle is traveling faster than light.
For time travel, i.e. to travel to the future, i think its not necessary to cross 'c', but to cross the speed of light in your surroundings, even if it is c/n. By traveling greater than c/n, the particle with will travel to the future with respect to the observer inside that medium.

ABHISEK DATTA said:
For time travel, i.e. to travel to the future, i think its not necessary to cross 'c', but to cross the speed of light in your surroundings, even if it is c/n. By traveling greater than c/n, the particle with will travel to the future with respect to the observer inside that medium.
Well, you're wrong. Time travel (and it's associated paradoxes) would happen if particles could go faster than 3 x 108 m/s, not simply 'faster than light'.

1. What is the theory behind travelling greater than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, travelling faster than the speed of light is impossible. The theory states that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it to that speed. Therefore, it is believed that it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light.

2. Is it possible to break the speed of light barrier?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence or technology that can break the speed of light barrier. The speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, is considered to be the universal speed limit. However, scientists continue to research and explore the possibilities of faster-than-light travel.

3. What are the potential consequences of travelling faster than the speed of light?

If it were possible to travel faster than the speed of light, it would have major consequences on the laws of physics and the fundamental principles of the universe. It could potentially cause time travel, as travelling faster than the speed of light would also mean travelling back in time. It could also disrupt the laws of cause and effect, creating paradoxes and altering the course of events in the past, present, and future.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

Currently, nothing is known to travel faster than the speed of light. Even particles that can reach high speeds, such as photons, still adhere to the speed of light limit. However, some theories suggest that certain types of hypothetical particles, such as tachyons, could possibly travel faster than the speed of light, but there is no evidence to support this theory.

5. How does the concept of time dilation play a role in faster-than-light travel?

According to the theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object. This is known as time dilation. Therefore, if it were possible to travel faster than the speed of light, time would essentially reverse, causing a paradox. This is one of the major reasons why travelling faster than the speed of light is considered impossible.