Triplets/Singlets and applying lowering S operator

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between spin eigenstates and the up/down arrow combination in quantum mechanics. The lowering operator is used to derive the |10> state and there are multiple ways to create spin eigenstates. One method is to apply the lowering operator repeatedly, while another is to construct matrices and diagonalize them. The notation |SM> refers to total spin numbers and the arrow notation refers to individual m values. The |00> state is the combination orthogonal to |10>.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
upload_2015-5-2_16-1-36.png

Hello, I am going through this and I am totally confused. Where do they come up with ##\mid 1 \hspace {0.02 in} 0 \rangle = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2}}(\uparrow \downarrow + \downarrow \uparrow)##? They just use the lowering operator, but I'm wondering if the switch in order from equation 4.177 and the one right above it (not numbered) is significant?

Also, why is this thing called a "triplet" (I see three rows in equation 4.177, is that why?)

I guess my problem is to go from ## \mid s \hspace{0.02 in} m \rangle## to some sort of up down representation. How do I get the singlet, ##\mid 0 \hspace{0.02 in} 0 \rangle##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The notation |SM> refers to total spin numbers.
The arrow notation refers to individual m values, individual s=1/2) being understood.
The |00> state is the combination orthogonal to |10>.

Okay, is there some way to go from an arbitrary ##\mid s \hspace {0.02 in} m \rangle## to the up/down arrow combination? I read everything you wrote previously, but I still don't know how to go from the spin eigenstate to the up/down arrow

The way the author derives the ##|10>## state is he makes use of the property of lowering operator ##S_-##. Lowering (and raising) operators have the property that when it acts on an angular momentum eigenstate, it will lower (raise) the m value by one unit while retaining the angular momentum quantum number (in that notation s). So knowing that ##|11> = \uparrow \uparrow##, you can apply ##S_-## to that state to get ##|10>##. If you want to check if ##|10>## is really how it was written in that equation you can try to make ##S^2 = (S_1+S_2)^2## and ##S_z = S_{1z}+S_{2z}## act on the arrow up and down expression for ##|10>##, and see what expression they ended up respectively, although the algebra might get quite tedious.

Yes there is. If you have N spins of s=1/2, first write down the |N/2 N/2> state, that is all N arrows point up. Then apply the lowering operator to get the |N/2 N/2-1> state, etc. Now you have the |N/2 m> states. To get the |N/2-1 m> multiplets first construct the |N/2-1 N/2-1> states. These are the N-1 combinations orthogonal to |N/2 N/2-1>. Apply S- repeatedly to get the multiplets. And so on.
Check at the end if you have 2^N states.

Maylis said:
Okay, is there some way to go from an arbitrary ##\mid s \hspace {0.02 in} m \rangle## to the up/down arrow combination? I read everything you wrote previously, but I still don't know how to go from the spin eigenstate to the up/down arrow
It is the other way around. The reason that you cannot go from |Sm> to arrows is that there are many ways to create an |Sm> state. Instead, go from the arrow notation to the spin eigenstate. An alternative to the construction algorithm above is to take all states with n+ up and n- down arrows, construct the matrices of S^2 = Sz^2 + (S+S- + S-S+)/2. Diagonalize the matrix and you will have found the m = n+ - n- members of all multiplets.

Last edited:

Related to Triplets/Singlets and applying lowering S operator

1. What are triplets and singlets?

Triplets and singlets are a type of quantum state that describes the spin of a system of particles. Triplets have a total spin of 1 and singlets have a total spin of 0.

2. How do you apply the lowering S operator?

The lowering S operator is applied to a quantum state to decrease the total spin of the system by 1. This is done by multiplying the state by the lowering S matrix, which has specific coefficients for each spin state.

3. What is the significance of triplets and singlets in quantum mechanics?

Triplets and singlets are important in quantum mechanics because they describe the overall spin state of a system of particles. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of the system.

4. Can triplets and singlets be measured?

Yes, the spin of a system can be measured through experiments such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment. This allows for the determination of whether a system is in a triplet or singlet state.

5. How are triplets and singlets related to other quantum states?

Triplets and singlets are part of a larger category of quantum states known as spin states. These states are characterized by the spin of a system and can also be transformed into each other through the use of the S operator.