1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle wavefunction - position uncertainty and probability amplitude

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys. Basically I have a wavefunction that looks like this
    http://imageshack.com/a/img843/3691/22r3.jpg [Broken]

I have to find:
    (a) The normalization constant N, of course by normalizing it
    (b) Find <x> and <x^2> and use this to find Δx.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm just gona insert images, as i'm writing it all with my tablet:
    http://imageshack.com/a/img33/5705/czbs.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so I've found the normalization constant, N, but I've got 2 different answers depending on the way in which I solve the problem, and I want to know which is correct (and why, if possible). Please view the image below:
    http://imageshack.com/a/img11/7232/0hmb.jpg [Broken]

So...which is correct? :S

I need to know the explicit expression for the probability density to proceed further.

Thanks a lot guys!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

The square of a function that is defined in parts, is still a function defined in parts, eg.
    From
    [itex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{array}(g(x); x<0 \\ h(x); x\geq0\end{array}\right.[/itex]
    It follows that
    [itex](f(x))^2 = \left\{\begin{array}((g(x))^2 &; x<0 \\ (h(x))^2&; x\geq0\end{array}\right.[/itex],
    that is to say
    [itex](f(x))^2 \neq (g(x))^2 + (h(x))^2[/itex]

This is a notational problem: your [itex]|\Psi|^2[/itex] is incorrect, although you do manage to integrate it correctly in parts. Your first approach is correct as it is the integral of the square that you want to have as 1 (probability of the particle being anywhere is 1).

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    Great, thanks a lot dude! But my next question is this - how do i go about finding <x> ? i mean I need a single expression for psi mod squared, right?

5. Sep 30, 2013 #4

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a single expression. Could you elaborate?

There should be no problem integrating over functions that are piece-wise defined.
    For example if
    f(x) = 1 for x < 0 and f(x) = 2 for x > 0, the integral [itex]\int_{-1}^1f(x)dx = \int_{-1}^0 1 dx + \int_0^1 2 dx = 1 + 2 = 3[/itex].

Start by writing out the function [itex]\Psi^* x \Psi[/itex]. It will be a piece-wise defined function. Then proceed to integrate it, and you will get <x> by definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted