Can a monkey outrun a bullet and still save her litter?

• Thread starter powergirl
  • Start date
If you drive me to the airport.2. I am afraid of going up in elevators.3. Drinking cocoa keeps me warm on long winter nights.4. I hope the map leads us to buried treasure.5. "Eat another bonbon," said our charming hostess.6. Nepal may be the most interesting place I have ever visited.7. Remember to fold the map, please.8. I feel many lumps in this mattress.9. Word processing is not as useful as pens and paper for creative brainstorming.1. Willow2. Fir3. Oak4. Pine5. Chestnut6. Elm7. Maple8. Apple9. Ash

It's not possible. The equations are 10x+1/5 y + 5/4 z = 100, and z+y+z = 100, which gives 7(28x+3z) = 1600 by substituting y from the last equation into the first. 1600 is not divisible by 7, but 28z + 3z is an integer.

Physics news on Phys.org

disregardthat said:
It's not possible. The equations are 10x+1/5 y + 5/4 z = 100, and z+y+z = 100, which gives 7(28x+3z) = 1600 by substituting y from the last equation into the first. 1600 is not divisible by 7, but 28z + 3z is an integer.

It's not possible when interpreted literally. Obviously there's a trick to it.

But evra is determined to drag it out as long as possible.

What's black and white and red and can't turn around in hallways?

DaveC426913 said:
It's not possible when interpreted literally. Obviously there's a trick to it.

But evra is determined to drag it out as long as possible.

What's black and white and red and can't turn around in hallways?

A hallway painted black and white and red?

daveb said:
A hallway painted black and white and red?
A nun with a javelin through her head! :biggrin:

Hello my people! i am very very very sorry to all of you. i made a small mistake on the puzzle and it changed everything. forgive my guys, i was a little bit away. and especially to Uncle Dave, I am really sorry. and remeber that to make a mistake is human though not scientific and i hope u will forgive me. anyway, the correct one is;i have a bus that takes 100 passengers and i need only 100dollars id the bus is full. the fare for;
1 man is 10dollars
5 children is 1dollar
1 woman is 4dollars
i need the bus to be full and i need 100dollars only out of it..
how many children, men and women should I've in the bus??
Honestly i am sorry for the mistake. try this one for me please and let's forget the past.

Last edited:

At least you've led us on a merry chase! :smile:

7 men, 3 women, and 90 kids

Last edited:

evra said:
Honestly i am sorry for the mistake. try this one for me please and let's forget the past.
It would have gone a lot easier if you had bothered to work out the solution for yourself, instead of just continually telling us to thiiiiiink!

DaveC426913 said:
It would have gone a lot easier if you had bothered to work out the solution for yourself, instead of just continually telling us to thiiiiiink!

If more than 5 different people here on PF say it's not possible, that might give a very slight indication that perhaps it is not possible. :wink:

yes, you are all right.

Hah! Glad I only spent a few minutes on that! I thought I was being dumb.

evra said:
unfortunately you are wrong uncle Dave. there is only one answer to it. lol! I will send the person who answers a present.

Does that mean you'll send us a present now? :rolleyes:

I like Serena said:
:biggrin:
Yeah! Pony up evra!

I like Serena said:

yes, PM me your postal Adress.

evra said:
yes, PM me your postal Adress.

Can you make it a gold membership for yourself instead (US$14.99)? o:)

I like Serena said:
Can you make it a gold membership for yourself instead (US$14.99)? o:)

hahahaha! ok i will.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes.
The puzzle requires 8 had's in a row in a single sentence. Your solution requires two sentences.

Here is a well known sentence with 7 in a row.
Karen, while Jimmy had had 'had', had had 'had had'.
Here is a variation on it.
Jimmy, while Karen had had 'had had', had had 'had'.
Here is a solution to the puzzle with 18 had's in a row.
The first spoiler, while the second spoiler had had "had had 'had had', had had 'had'", had had "had had 'had', had had 'had had'".

Jimmy Snyder said:
The puzzle requires 8 had's in a row in a single sentence. Your solution requires two sentences.
Replace the period with a "; ". :wink:

Jimmy Snyder said:
Here is a solution to the puzzle with 18 had's in a row.
The first spoiler, while the second spoiler had had "had had 'had had', had had 'had'", had had "had had 'had', had had 'had had'".
Nice. :approve:

unscientific said:
a bus conductor accidentally knocked down and killed 50 people while driving his bus in a drunken state.
The judge then sentenced him to death penalty by the electric chair.

On his execution date, he requested to have bananas before he died, and so the judge passed him a bundle of fresh bananas. Surprisingly the electric chair did not kill him.

So the next day, he was tried for execution again, and the same, he requested an apple, so the judge gave him a ripe apple. Amazingly, he survived.

Finally, the judge let him go.

Question: how did he survive?

Everyone in the state is drunk...so naturally they forgot to plug in the electric chair.

What is a drunken state?

disregardthat said:
What is a drunken state?

A state in which everyone is drunk.

powergirl said:
A prisoner is in jail. There are two doors, one leads to freedom one leads to death. There is a guard at each door. One guard always tells the truth, the other always tells lies. The prisoner is allowed one question to either of the guards.
What is the question that will take him to freedom.?

Ok i think i got it. :)
You just have to ask: ¿Will the lier door lead me to death?
Then just take the door of the guard that would say yes.

Explanation: You don't really know who tells the truth and who lies, but here's the trick.
D is death door. F is freedom door.
1. If the lier is guarding D door:
You ask the D door guard the question: Will the lier's door take me to death? he would say no, so you have to go and take the other door.

If you ask the F door (guarded by the truth guy) the question: Will the lier's door take me to death? he would say yes, so take this door. Even if you don't know who tells the truth the "yes" answer will take you to freedom

2. If the guard that tells the truth guards D door:
You ask the D door guard the question: Will the lier's door take me to death? he would say no, so you have to take the other door.

If you ask the F door (guarded by the lier guy) the question: Will the lier's door take me to death? he would say yes, so take this door.

So just take the door where the guard says yes. :)

agentredlum said:
Everyone in the state is drunk...so naturally they forgot to plug in the electric chair.

I think "problemists" should not wait too long revealing the correct answer, if not
solved in reasonable time. However regarding this about sentenced bus conductor
I found explanation in

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s2i6731

The bus conductor explained himself why he was not killed by electric chair:
"Because I was a bad conductor!" I.e he joked being a bad conductor could be
translated as being a bad electrical conductor.

Last edited:

I haven't seen the whole thread,this might have been asked before(or this might be a well known thing)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A man enters a bar and asks for a glass of water ,the heavily built bar owner takes out a pistol and points it at the man's head and smiles,this draws attention from everyone in the bar.The man smiles back and leaves the bar.

Can anyone tell me what exactly happened?

Two boys wish to cross a river. The only way to get to the other side is by boat, but that boat can only take one boy at a time. The boat cannot return on its own, there are no ropes or similar tricks, yet both boys manage to cross using the boat.

How?

evra said:
Two boys wish to cross a river. The only way to get to the other side is by boat, but that boat can only take one boy at a time. The boat cannot return on its own, there are no ropes or similar tricks, yet both boys manage to cross using the boat.

How?

They ask somebody on the other side to bring the boat back.

evra said:

How?

The first boy crosses the river and comes back.
Then the second boy crosses.

Presto! Both boys have crossed the river! :smile:

shashankac655 said:
I haven't seen the whole thread,this might have been asked before(or this might be a well known thing)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A man enters a bar and asks for a glass of water ,the heavily built bar owner takes out a pistol and points it at the man's head and smiles,this draws attention from everyone in the bar.The man smiles back and leaves the bar.

Can anyone tell me what exactly happened?
Water pistol

evra said:

How?
At the outset they were on opposite sides.

How much pressure is needed for an 8inch drill to dig a well of elastic wall to bring to submission?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Water pistol

No ,the man had hiccups so he asked for some water ,after seeing the pistol pointed at him,he lost the hiccups because of the shock ,after realizing that his hiccups are gone he smiles and leaves the bar.

Two brothers were watching a horror movie at their home,the younger brother fell asleep during the show sometime after seeing the monster (in the movie).
The elder brother tried to wake him up after some time during the later stages of the movie by pulling him back and forth from the chair by holding his collar,at this time the younger brother was dreaming about the same monster that he saw in the movie,when his brother started to pull him back and forth,in his dream the monster was pulling him back and forth and the younger brother died of an heart attack.

Can this story be true?

if yes why?

if no why?

shashankac655 said:
Two brothers were watching a horror movie at their home,the younger brother fell asleep during the show sometime after seeing the monster (in the movie).
The elder brother tried to wake him up after some time during the later stages of the movie by pulling him back and forth from the chair by holding his collar,at this time the younger brother was dreaming about the same monster that he saw in the movie,when his brother started to pull him back and forth,in his dream the monster was pulling him back and forth and the younger brother died of an heart attack.

Can this story be true?

if yes why?

if no why?
The events could be true, but the story can't be. We cannot know what a person who dies in their sleep had been dreaming about.

DaveC426913 said:
The events could be true, but the story can't be. We cannot know what a person who dies in their sleep had been dreaming about.

you got me.

Imagine you are lonely in a boat in the middle of a wide river ,your boat gets rubbed against some rocks and water is flowing in through the holes and into your boat, you don't know how to swim and the current is very strong and you are not able to control the boat.
Crocodiles starts attacking your boat ,how will you get out of the situation?

shashankac655 said:
Imagine you are lonely in a boat in the middle of a wide river ,your boat gets rubbed against some rocks and water is flowing in through the holes and into your boat, you don't know how to swim and the current is very strong and you are not able to control the boat.
Crocodiles starts attacking your boat ,how will you get out of the situation?

I would take off my shirt and stuff it out through the largest holes, where it would be sucked up to the hole, slowing the filling. In the strong current, I'll be free of crocs soon enough.

But suspect this is a trick question.