Can a monkey outrun a bullet and still save her litter?

• Thread starter powergirl
  • Start date
If you drive me to the airport.2. I am afraid of going up in elevators.3. Drinking cocoa keeps me warm on long winter nights.4. I hope the map leads us to buried treasure.5. "Eat another bonbon," said our charming hostess.6. Nepal may be the most interesting place I have ever visited.7. Remember to fold the map, please.8. I feel many lumps in this mattress.9. Word processing is not as useful as pens and paper for creative brainstorming.1. Willow2. Fir3. Oak4. Pine5. Chestnut6. Elm7. Maple8. Apple9. Ash

DaveC426913 said:
I would take off my shirt and stuff it out through the largest holes, where it would be sucked up to the hole, slowing the filling. In the strong current, I'll be free of crocs soon enough.

But suspect this is a trick question.

you are in a small boat, the current is too strong for you control the boat but not for crocs.

I told you to imagine it ,the only full proof solution is to stop imagining:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org

dontdisturbmycircles said:
I'd pick the assassins since they are perhaps sentenced to die too, hence no reason to shoot me. And then we could work on a plan as to how to get out of there.[/QUOTE

well how come lion still alive without food for three years?

walkers said:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
I'd pick the assassins since they are perhaps sentenced to die too, hence no reason to shoot me. And then we could work on a plan as to how to get out of there.[/QUOTE

well how come lion still alive without food for three years?

Magical lions. They're all the rage nowadays.

Has anyone here ever heard of lateral thinking puzzles? It is where someone gives you an extremely obscure scenario or statement and you must answer it asking yes or no questions. Here is an example.

A man decides to try and rob a funeral parlor. Once inside he notices that the manager is still there and coming his way, so he jumps inside a coffin and "plays dead." The manager quickly notices the man and calls the police. How did the manager know he was trying to rob the funeral parlor?

DaveC426913 said:
"There are three ways to spell the word 'to'."

I've just discovered this thread and read this post...

I have to say that this is one of the most interesting sentences I've ever seen. As far as I can tell, the only way to resolve this problem is with the addition of several disclaimers and the word "homophone." What an interesting deficiency in the language. I wonder if all languages with homophones suffer this problem.

spockjones20 said:
A man decides to try and rob a funeral parlor. Once inside he notices that the manager is still there and coming his way, so he jumps inside a coffin and "plays dead." The manager quickly notices the man and calls the police. How did the manager know he was trying to rob the funeral parlor?

Well, he jumped in a coffin and played dead without purchasing the product or scheduling an appointment. Given that that's the only product/service a funeral parlor peddles, he's guilty of thievery.

This is my favorite riddle as posed by famous humorist and author, Douglas Adams:

"How many eggs?"

(EDIT: I Googled to see if I could find the result, but there's nothing out there so I know no one can cheat.)
(DOUBLE EDIT: I should also mention that Douglas Adams, himself, said that the riddle had the cleverest answer.)

FlexGunship said:
Well, he jumped in a coffin and played dead without purchasing the product or scheduling an appointment. Given that that's the only product/service a funeral parlor peddles, he's guilty of thievery.

Not what I was looking for, although if we want to get caught up in semantics I suppose it works haha. The real riddle lies in how the manager distinguished him from a dead body.

spockjones20 said:
Not what I was looking for, although if we want to get caught up in semantics I suppose it works haha. The real riddle lies in how the manager distinguished him from a dead body.

He wasn't dressed to be buried
He was breathing
He was warm (maybe fog coming from his breath)
The lid was still open
The manager is related to the thief
The manager is the thief and he was looking at a recently installed mirror

Also, in your description, you didn't note that the manager was unable to see the thief when the thief saw the manager. But that may be ambiguity rather than part of the riddle.

Yeah the first one. They come much more complex than that, that was just an example. As for the eggs, would it be 42?

It was a funeral home for pets.

spockjones20 said:
As for the eggs, would it be 42?

No, but that would be devastatingly appropriate.

In order to figure this puzzle out I'm trying to imagine a funeral home manager who has trouble distinguishing dead people from living ones. It's not working.

He does it quickly from a distance. Its not the best puzzle, I admit. But it does have a clear answer that would work given the premise that he has no idea what dead bodies look like.

spockjones20 said:
He does it quickly from a distance. Its not the best puzzle, I admit. But it does have a clear answer that would work given the premise that he has no idea what dead bodies look like.
OK, I'll work in it some more. But that's not the way lateral thinking puzzles are supposed to work.

Oh, my bad. Did I get the description right and then just put up a poor puzzle, or was I off on both accounts? I apologize in either case. Would you care to put up a better description or puzzle? I always did like them.

spockjones20 said:
Oh, my bad. Did I get the description right and then just put up a poor puzzle, or was I off on both accounts? I apologize in either case. Would you care to put up a better description or puzzle? I always did like them.
No, my bad. I didn't realize that you had already acknowledged the correct answer. Sorry.

No problemo. Do you know any other lateral thinking puzzles?

I'm drawing a blank as of now and can't think of any.

ok, so here's one:

a man is captured by cannibals and they tell him:
"if you say a lie, we'll eat you slowly. if you say a truth, we'll eat you fast."
¿what does the man say to them to avoid getting eaten at all?

ihatesnakes said:
ok, so here's one:

a man is captured by cannibals and they tell him:
"if you say a lie, we'll eat you slowly. if you say a truth, we'll eat you fast."
¿what does the man say to them to avoid getting eaten at all?
You will eat me slowly.

nice

Oops, I just said to them you will eat me fast. What's my next move here?

Nice!

I believe your next move would be to question them on what their next move should be.

OK, I'm very bored right now, so I'm going to be pedantic.

The cannibals say "if you say a lie, we'll eat you slowly. if you say a truth, we'll eat you fast."

But they did not say what they would do if you tell them a self-contradicting statement. If this trick should work, then the cannibals should have said: "we'll eat you slowly if and only if you tell a lie. we'll eat you fast, if and only if you speak the truth."

Reminds me of

230-the-button.png

Last edited:

What if the cannibals were lying? :devil:

Of course, I would argue the comic is incorrect-- the "tester" says "Tom Smith has just died as a result of your decision", but that's wrong. Tom Smith didn't die as a result of the subject's decision. He died as a result of the tester's decision. Should've just said "Tom Smith has just died". If someone was going to die regardless of whether or not the button was pushed, then that's not a decision that's up to the subject.

DaveE

davee123 said:
Of course, I would argue the comic is incorrect-- the "tester" says "Tom Smith has just died as a result of your decision", but that's wrong. Tom Smith didn't die as a result of the subject's decision. He died as a result of the tester's decision. Should've just said "Tom Smith has just died". If someone was going to die regardless of whether or not the button was pushed, then that's not a decision that's up to the subject.

DaveE
Everything the tester said was true. However. there are two things the tester failed to mention. One was that if you don't push the button Tom Smith will be killed and someone somewhere in the world will receive one million dollars. The other thing she left out was that if you do push the button the someone who will be killed will not be Tom Smith.

You saw a shirt for 97DOLLARS.
You didn't have the cash so you borowed 50DOLLARS from you dad and 50DOLLARS from your mum.
50+50=100DOLLARS
you bought the shirt and had 3 dollars change.

you gave you mum 1DOLLAR, 1DOLLAR to your dad and you kept 1DOLLAR to yourself.

now you owe your mum 49DOLLARS and your dad 49DOLLARS.

49DOLLARS + 49DOLLARS = 98DOLLARS + your 1DOLLAR = 99DOLLARS.

Where is the missing 1DOLLAR?

is it that no one can do the above?

evra said:
You saw a shirt for 97DOLLARS.
You didn't have the cash so you borowed 50DOLLARS from you dad and 50DOLLARS from your mum.
50+50=100DOLLARS
you bought the shirt and had 3 dollars change.

you gave you mum 1DOLLAR, 1DOLLAR to your dad and you kept 1DOLLAR to yourself.

now you owe your mum 49DOLLARS and your dad 49DOLLARS.

49DOLLARS + 49DOLLARS = 98DOLLARS + your 1DOLLAR = 99DOLLARS.

Where is the missing 1DOLLAR?
The error is "98DOLLARS + your 1DOLLAR." You're adding debt and surplus, when you should be subtracting them. Assuming that the one dollar is the only cash you have, then your overall "net" debt is $98 *minus* $1 (not plus $1)

powergirl said:
Let me ask the Ist Quest:'n.
"1) How much soil is there in a hole measuring one metre by one metre by one metre?"

nothing..coz it's just a hole...

powergirl said:
3)(in your head!) take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10. What is the total?
Pls sincerely add it in mind...

powergirl said:
NOt right;
Can anyone answer this?
2) A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms: The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

Lions because they would be dead by that point and i would get to eat them for food and also wear the fur/skin for warmth if it gets cold.

six monkeys are each pregnant with 7 kids ,a hunter is running after these monkeys shooting them with a gun at an intervals, the speed of the bullets are constant and are twice less than the speed of the fastest monkey, if the monkeys are running with a constant speed, in such a way that the fastest monkey is twice the second, the second is twice the third etc. at that limit, how many monkeys can the hunter kill, how many will survive and how many kids probably they might deliver?

So no one is able to answer this one or is it that this threat is closed?

<h2>1. Can a monkey really outrun a bullet?</h2><p>No, it is physically impossible for a monkey to outrun a bullet. Bullets travel at extremely high speeds, ranging from 1,500 to 3,000 feet per second, while the fastest recorded speed for a monkey is around 35 miles per hour.</p><h2>2. Is there any evidence of a monkey saving her litter from a bullet?</h2><p>There is no scientific evidence of a monkey saving her litter from a bullet. While monkeys are known to be protective of their offspring, it is highly unlikely that they would be able to react fast enough to save them from a bullet.</p><h2>3. What factors would affect a monkey's ability to outrun a bullet?</h2><p>Some factors that would affect a monkey's ability to outrun a bullet include their size, agility, and speed. Smaller monkeys may be able to move faster, but they would still not be able to outrun a bullet. Additionally, the distance between the monkey and the bullet, as well as the type of gun and bullet used, would also play a role.</p><h2>4. Can a monkey's natural survival instincts help them outrun a bullet?</h2><p>No, a monkey's natural survival instincts would not be enough to help them outrun a bullet. While monkeys are known for their agility and quick reflexes, they are not equipped to outrun a bullet, which travels at a much faster speed than they can move.</p><h2>5. Are there any animals that can outrun a bullet?</h2><p>No, there are no animals that can outrun a bullet. Bullets travel at extremely high speeds and are designed to be lethal, making it impossible for any animal to outrun them. Some animals, such as cheetahs and pronghorns, are known for their speed, but even they would not be able to outrun a bullet.</p>

1. Can a monkey really outrun a bullet?

No, it is physically impossible for a monkey to outrun a bullet. Bullets travel at extremely high speeds, ranging from 1,500 to 3,000 feet per second, while the fastest recorded speed for a monkey is around 35 miles per hour.

2. Is there any evidence of a monkey saving her litter from a bullet?

There is no scientific evidence of a monkey saving her litter from a bullet. While monkeys are known to be protective of their offspring, it is highly unlikely that they would be able to react fast enough to save them from a bullet.

3. What factors would affect a monkey's ability to outrun a bullet?

Some factors that would affect a monkey's ability to outrun a bullet include their size, agility, and speed. Smaller monkeys may be able to move faster, but they would still not be able to outrun a bullet. Additionally, the distance between the monkey and the bullet, as well as the type of gun and bullet used, would also play a role.

4. Can a monkey's natural survival instincts help them outrun a bullet?

No, a monkey's natural survival instincts would not be enough to help them outrun a bullet. While monkeys are known for their agility and quick reflexes, they are not equipped to outrun a bullet, which travels at a much faster speed than they can move.

5. Are there any animals that can outrun a bullet?

No, there are no animals that can outrun a bullet. Bullets travel at extremely high speeds and are designed to be lethal, making it impossible for any animal to outrun them. Some animals, such as cheetahs and pronghorns, are known for their speed, but even they would not be able to outrun a bullet.