Tried to Normalize this function but

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in normalizing a wavefunction by finding the value of A. The solutions used an element volume dV of a very thin shell, then integrated r from 0 to ∞. However, there were mistakes made in the initial setup of the integral, which were corrected. The conversation also includes recommendations for resources to improve understanding of vector calculus and a clarification on the correct answer.
unscientific

Homework Statement

The problem is attached in the picture. It is to normalize the wavefunction to find the value of A.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solutions used an element volume dV of a very thin shell, then integrated r from 0 to ∞.

I didn't think of this way, I simply integrated using boundaries of ψ, θ and r.

The limits of ψ ranges from 0 to 2∏.

The limits of θ ranges from 0 to 2∏.

The limits of r ranges from 0 to infinity.

However, I get a different answer. I've checked my working through a couple of times, not sure where I went wrong..

Attachments

• sphericalcoordinate2.jpg
    sphericalcoordinate2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 391
  • img100.jpg
    img100.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 385
  • img101.jpg
    img101.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:

Homework Statement

The problem is attached in the picture. It is to normalize the wavefunction to find the value of A.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solutions used an element volume dV of a very thin shell, then integrated r from 0 to ∞.

I didn't think of this way, I simply integrated using boundaries of ψ, θ and r.

The limits of ψ ranges from 0 to 2∏.

The limits of θ ranges from 0 to 2∏.

The limits of r ranges from 0 to infinity.However, I get a different answer. I've checked my working through a couple of times, not sure where I went wrong..

You've made two very serious mistakes before even starting to evaluate your integral:

(1) The volume differential in spherical coordinates is [itex]r^2 \sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi[/itex], not [itex]dr d \theta d \phi[/itex] (which doesn't even have units of volume :eek:)

(2) Only one of the angles is integrated from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex] (by convention, this is usually the azimuthal angle [itex]\phi[/itex]), this produces a circle (or circular disk if you integrate over [itex]r[/itex] as well), the other angle needs only be integrated from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] (rotating a circle 180 degrees creates a shperical shell/sphere, rotating 360 degrees will give you double the correct result)

I strongly suggest you pick up a textbook on multivariable/vector calculus and read through how to integrate and differentiate functions in curvilinear coordinates. Most good textbooks will have worked examples, diagrams and sample problems for you to practice with.

gabbagabbahey said:
You've made two very serious mistakes before even starting to evaluate your integral:

(1) The volume differential in spherical coordinates is [itex]r^2 \sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi[/itex], not [itex]dr d \theta d \phi[/itex] (which doesn't even have units of volume :eek:)

(2) Only one of the angles is integrated from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex] (by convention, this is usually the azimuthal angle [itex]\phi[/itex]), this produces a circle (or circular disk if you integrate over [itex]r[/itex] as well), the other angle needs only be integrated from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] (rotating a circle 180 degrees creates a shperical shell/sphere, rotating 360 degrees will give you double the correct result)

I strongly suggest you pick up a textbook on multivariable/vector calculus and read through how to integrate and differentiate functions in curvilinear coordinates. Most good textbooks will have worked examples, diagrams and sample problems for you to practice with.

Do you have any recommendations/links that I can use to practice and improve??

I found a helpful website that explains the derivation of dV : http://www.mas.ncl.ac.uk/~nas13/mas2104/Section511.pdf

I think this makes more sense, by initially including Δθ.

I first rotated Δθ, then the curved length is Δθ*r.
Then I rotated Δψ, then won't the 'radius' be r*sin(θ+Δθ) instead of simply r*sin(θ) ?

ΔV = (Δθ*r)[r*sin(θ+Δθ)*Δψ]*Δr

Taking limits ΔV → 0, Δr, Δθ and Δψ → 0

sin(θ+Δθ) → sin (θ)

dV = r2 sinθ dr dθ dψ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey unscientific.

I haven't taken QM but what is the description of the wave-function distribution in this example? How does it vary through space mathematically as a function of the Euler-Angles and the radius (whether implicitly or explicitly)?

chiro said:
Hey unscientific.

I haven't taken QM but what is the description of the wave-function distribution in this example? How does it vary through space mathematically as a function of the Euler-Angles and the radius (whether implicitly or explicitly)?

Here's the picture of the full question, hopefully this gives you the answer you're looking for:

Attachments

• wavefunction.jpg
    wavefunction.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 397
unscientific said:
Do you have any recommendations/links that I can use to practice and improve?

For a quick reference geared more toward physics (and hence lacking some mathematical rigor), my personal favourite is the first chapter of Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics which introduces vector calculus geometrically and contains several examples and problems for practice.

For a more rigorous text I recommend Mary L. Boas' Mathematical Methods In The Physical Sciences.

If you are just looking for a free online tutorial, a quick Google search turns up video lectures from MIT here - although I haven't watched them so I can't attest to their usefulness.

gabbagabbahey said:
For a quick reference geared more toward physics (and hence lacking some mathematical rigor), my personal favourite is the first chapter of Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics which introduces vector calculus geometrically and contains several examples and problems for practice.

For a more rigorous text I recommend Mary L. Boas' Mathematical Methods In The Physical Sciences.

If you are just looking for a free online tutorial, a quick Google search turns up video lectures from MIT here - although I haven't watched them so I can't attest to their usefulness.

If dV = r2 sinθ dr dθ dψ,

Then if you ∫dψ ∫ r2 sinθ dθ (from 0 to ∏ first then 0 to 2∏)

you only end up with 2∏ in your answer when you reach ∫ dr. However, the answer has 4∏2...Am i missing something?

I worked out everything using V = r2 sinθ dr dθ dψ and got nearly the same answer, just that they had 4∏2 while I only had 2∏...

There is 4πr2 in the answer. The factor 2 comes in when you substitute the upper and lower bounds π and 0 in the integral with respect to θ: ∫sin(θ)dθ=-cos(π)-(-cos(0))=2.

ehild

ehild said:
There is 4πr2 in the answer. The factor 2 comes in when you substitute the upper and lower bounds π and 0 in the integral with respect to θ: ∫sin(θ)dθ=-cos(π)-(-cos(0))=2.

ehild

I see, thanks!

1. How do you normalize a function?

Normalizing a function involves dividing each value of the function by the maximum value of the function. This results in all values falling between 0 and 1, making it easier to compare the relative magnitude of different functions.

2. Why is it important to normalize a function?

Normalizing a function allows for easier comparison between different functions, as all values are on the same scale. It also helps to remove any potential bias caused by differences in the magnitude of the values.

3. What is the purpose of normalization in data analysis?

In data analysis, normalization helps to eliminate the effects of different scales and units of measurement, making it easier to compare and analyze different datasets. It also helps to identify patterns and trends that may not be visible when using raw data.

4. Can you provide an example of a normalized function?

Sure, let's say we have a function that represents the temperature in degrees Celsius over a period of time. The maximum value of this function is 30 degrees. To normalize this function, we would divide each value by 30, resulting in all values falling between 0 and 1. For example, a temperature of 15 degrees would become 0.5 after normalization.

5. Are there any drawbacks to normalizing a function?

While normalization can be helpful in some cases, it can also potentially distort the data and hide important information. It's important to carefully consider the purpose and context of the data before deciding whether or not to normalize a function.