1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonal lattice with each angle equal to 120degree

1. Nov 20, 2006 #1
    1. What happens when the angles between the three sides of a trigonal reach 120degrees?

I know that at 90degrees, it becomes a simple cubic. At 109degrees, it becomes a body centered cubic. At 60 degrees, it becomes a face centered cubic.
    What about 120degrees? I think that perhaps it should form a structure like a football?

2. Can pentagons form a lattice? I know that regular pentagons don’t satisfy translational symmetry. But can any pentagon with different side lengths form a lattice?
    I tried making one, but no pentagon satisfies the translation symmetry.

Many thanks.

- Farrukh
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For #1 write two vectors in the x-y plane at 120° separation angle. Then write a general vector in 3-D and take the dot procuct with each of the two in-plane vectors and see where it has to point to make the angles to both of those vectors 120°

For #2, if it did exist you would probably find it here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?