Trigonometric equations - Find the general solution

But I don't understand why we get three different values for ##n\pi, n\pi+\pi/6, n\pi+\pi/3##. Can you explain that?Also, why is my method wrong?In summary, by dividing both sides of the given equation by 2 and using trigonometric identities, we can rewrite the equation as ##\cos t(4\cos^2t-1)=0##. This leads to the solutions ##\cos t=0## and ##\cos t=±1/2##, which can be plugged back into the original equation to solve for x. However, the correct answers are simpler and can be obtained by rewriting the original equation in a different
Saitama

Homework Statement

[tex]\cos x-\sqrt{3}\sin x=\cos(3x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Dividing both the sides by two i.e
[tex]\cos x \cos \frac{\pi}{3}-\sin x \sin \frac{\pi}{3}=\cos (3x)/2[/tex]
LHS can be written as ##\cos(x+\pi/3)##. Substituting ##x+\pi/3=t \Rightarrow 3x=3t-\pi \Rightarrow \cos(3x)=-\cos(3t)##
[tex]\cos t=-\cos(3t)/2 \Rightarrow 2\cos t+\cos(3t)=0[/tex]
##\because \cos(3t)=4\cos^3t-3\cos t##
[tex]4\cos^3t-\cos t=0 \Rightarrow \cos t(4\cos^2t-1)=0[/tex]
Hence, ##\cos t=0 \Rightarrow t=(2n+1)\pi/2 \Rightarrow x=(2n+1)\pi/2-\pi/3## and ##\cos t=±1/2 \Rightarrow t=k\pi ± \pi/3 \Rightarrow x=k\pi, k\pi-2\pi/3## where ##n,k \in Z##.

But these are wrong. The correct answers are: ##n\pi, \pi(3k+(-1)^k)/6##.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is too complicated. Try to expand cos(3x)=cos(x+2x) in the original equation.

ehild

ehild said:
It is too complicated. Try to expand cos(3x)=cos(x+2x) in the original equation.

ehild

I already devised a way to reach the correct answer. What I have posted above is my first attempt at the problem and I am curious as to where I went wrong with that.

To reach the correct answer, I would rewrite the given equation as ##\cos(3x)-\cos x+\sqrt{3}\sin x=0##. Rewriting ##\cos(3x)-\cos x## as ##-2\sin(2x)\sin x##, I can easily reach the correct answer.

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\cos x-\sqrt{3}\sin x=\cos(3x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Dividing both the sides by two i.e
[tex]\cos x \cos \frac{\pi}{3}-\sin x \sin \frac{\pi}{3}=\cos (3x)/2[/tex]
LHS can be written as ##\cos(x+\pi/3)##. Substituting ##x+\pi/3=t \Rightarrow 3x=3t-\pi \Rightarrow \cos(3x)=-\cos(3t)##
[tex]\cos t=-\cos(3t)/2 \Rightarrow 2\cos t+\cos(3t)=0[/tex]
##\because \color{red}{\cos(3t)=4\cos^3t-3\cos t}##
[tex]4\cos^3t-\cos t=0 \Rightarrow \cos t(4\cos^2t-1)=0[/tex]
Hence, ##\cos t=0 \Rightarrow t=(2n+1)\pi/2 \Rightarrow x=(2n+1)\pi/2-\pi/3## and ##\cos t=±1/2 \Rightarrow t=k\pi ± \pi/3 \Rightarrow x=k\pi, k\pi-2\pi/3## where ##n,k \in Z##.

But these are wrong. The correct answers are: ##n\pi, \pi(3k+(-1)^k)/6##.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Where did that equation I have highlighted in red come from?

[Edit - added] Never mind about the identity. I think your work is correct and your answer and the "correct" answer are identical.

Last edited:
Pranav, I followed exactly your method and got the right answer. Your mistake must be after the word "hence". I got (using degrees) x = 180k + (0,30,60).

LCKurtz said:
I think your work is correct and your answer and the "correct" answer are identical.
Yes, both answers reduce to ##n\pi, n\pi+\pi/6, n\pi+\pi/3##

1. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to model and solve problems related to triangles and periodic phenomena.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation and use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify it. Once you have a simplified equation, you can use inverse trigonometric functions to find the solutions.

3. What is the general solution of a trigonometric equation?

The general solution of a trigonometric equation is the set of all possible solutions that satisfy the given equation. It includes all the solutions that can be obtained by adding or subtracting multiples of the period of the trigonometric function.

4. How do you find the general solution of a trigonometric equation?

To find the general solution of a trigonometric equation, you first need to solve the equation for one solution using inverse trigonometric functions. Then, you can add or subtract multiples of the period to this solution to find the rest of the solutions.

5. Can a trigonometric equation have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, a trigonometric equation can have an infinite number of solutions. This is because the trigonometric functions are periodic and repeat their values after each period, so there are an infinite number of values that can satisfy the equation.