Trigonometric Integral: Finding the Antiderivative of cotx + tanx

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Homework Helper
Messages
3,802
Reaction score
95

Homework Statement


If [itex]f(x)=cotx+tanx[/itex] then find [itex]\int{f(x)}dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I was able to manipulate (not sure if in the right direction though) the function and resulted with [tex]f(x)=\frac{2}{sin(2x)}[/tex]

I've also tried re-arranging things in a different way, but came up with nothing useful (I think). So then I'm stuck, any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You could possibly use the fact that (sin x)' = cos x, along with the idea that (ln f(x))' = f'(x) / f(x).

Much easier to integrate term by term rather than combine the expressions into a single trig term.
 
I'm not getting any form of f'(x)/f(x) and substituting u=sinx and du/dx=cosx doesn't seem like it gave me much either...
 
Look at the cot x term --

cot x = cos x / sin x, which is exactly of the form f'(x) / f(x), since (sin x)' = cos x. A very similar idea applies to the tan x term.
 
That wasn't what was suggested.

[tex]cot(x)+ tan(x)= \frac{cos(x)}{sin(x)}+ \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}[/tex]

Integrate by letting u= sin(x) in the first fraction and v= cos(x) in the second.
 
Ahh thanks for all the help!

Sorry, I kept looking at my manipulated expression.