How do I solve the trigonometric integral of f(x)=cotx+tanx?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Homework Helper
Messages
3,802
Reaction score
95
Part 2, leading on from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=315803"

Homework Statement


Given [itex]f(x)=cotx+tanx[/itex] find
[tex]\int{[f(x)]^2}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I've attempted many different varieties of approaches to the problem. Trying to use the substitution method for sinx, cosx, tanx... and a few others... re-arranging the function, trying to get it into a more convenient form... trying to use some of the ideas given in the first thread... No luck.

Basically, it has all been a bunch of guessing and hoping something useful will appear. Plus another bunch of frustration on my part, but I won't get into the details of that xD
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks rockfreak :smile:

It turns out to be tanx-cotx. I also obtained [itex]\int{sec^2x+cosec^2x}dx[/itex] through another longer method but it strike me at that moment that I can take the integral of each of these. (I think I'll keep my standard integral formulas close-by next time).

Thanks again.