Finding the antiderivative (inverse) of a function

In summary: That is the inverse function to the given one.In summary, to find the inverse function of f(x)=(1+e^x)/(1-e^x), we first swap x and y to get x=(1+e^y)/(1-e^y). Then, we solve for y by multiplying both sides by 1-e^y, subtracting 1, and dividing by (1+x). The resulting function is y=ln((x-1)/(x+1)).
Ohmar

Homework Statement

f(x)=1+e^x/1-e^x

Homework Equations

truth is, I don't even know how to approach this, i know i have to swap the variables but now I'm all confused because a friend told me to do this, in this particular case
f(x)=[1+(e^f)-1^x]/[1-(e^f)-1^x]

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't knolw where this -1^x came from, i would give it a shot at how to resolve for x but I really don't know how to get it down from that position as an exponent that is, any hint or advice is truly welcomed.

edit: forget the antiderivative term used in the subject i don't know why i confused those two terms, i just don't know how to delete it now =P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try multiplying the top and bottom by [tex]e^{-x/2}[/tex].

Or try u=[tex]e^x[/tex], then partial fractions.

Last edited:
Frankly, it sounds to me like you are completely out of your depth. Are you sure you belong in this course? I am particularly concerned that you say titled this "finding the anti-derivative (inverse) of a function". Typically people learn about "inverse functions" in a course at least a semester or a year before the hear about "antiderivatives".
"Finding the anti-derivative" and "finding the inverse" of a function are NOT the same thing at all.

To find the inverse function to f(x)= (1+e^x)/(1-e^x) (Please, please, please, use parentheses! What you wrote was, correctly 1+ (e^x/1)- e^x but I am sure you did not mean that.) I would first write y= (1+e^x)/(1-e^x) (because "y" is simpler to write than "f(x)") and, as you said, "swap" x and y: x= (1+ e^y)/(1- e^y). Now solve for y. Multiply on both sides by 1- e^y to get x(1- e^y)= x- xe^y= 1+ e^y. Now add xe^y to both sides and subtract 1 from both sides to get (1+ x)e^y= x- 1. Divide both sides by x+ 1: e^y= (x-1)/(x+1). Finally, we can solve for y by doing the "inverse function" to the exponential, the natural logarithm: y= ln((x-1)/(x+1)).

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as an inverse function, is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. It is the opposite operation of differentiation and involves finding a function that, when differentiated, gives the given function.

2. Why is finding the antiderivative important?

Finding the antiderivative is important in calculus because it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration. It also helps us to find the area under a curve, which is essential in many real-world applications.

3. What are the different methods for finding the antiderivative?

There are several methods for finding the antiderivative, including the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The method used depends on the form of the given function and the level of complexity.

4. Can every function have an antiderivative?

No, not every function has an antiderivative. Some functions, such as the exponential function, do not have an antiderivative that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. These functions are called non-elementary functions, and their antiderivatives must be approximated using numerical methods.

5. How do I check if my answer is correct when finding the antiderivative?

To check if your answer is correct, you can differentiate the antiderivative and see if it gives the original function. You can also use online tools or graphing calculators to verify your answer graphically. Additionally, you can compare your answer to known antiderivatives of similar functions to see if they match.