Triple Integral for earth potensial

In summary, The speaker is seeking help with solving a triple integral for computing gravitational potential using the formula G*ρ*∫∫∫-atan((x*y)/(z*sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)))dxdydz with limits x = 0 to 1000, y = 0 to 1000, and z = 0 to 1. They have tried using multiple software programs but have not been successful. It is unclear if the integrand is correct as it involves taking the inverse tangent of an area. The speaker is trying to solve a problem about the masses around a gravimeter and has been given a formula by their professor. They have also provided their attempts at solving the
keyos89
Hi!
I am trying to solve this triple integral for computing the potential: G*ρ*∫∫∫-atan((x*y)/(z*sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)))dxdydz with the limits x = 0 to 1000 z = 0 to 1000 and z = 0 to 1. The G is tha gravitational constant and ρ is the density of rock/earth.
I have tried to use multiple softwares(matlab, maxima, wolframalpha) for solving this, but can't find any solutions. I am not sure of what I am doing wrong, can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
And i want the answar to be in mgal (milli gal)

Your integrand choice seems a bit weird for the potential, are you sure this is the correct setup? Is this the potential of a slab of earth? or for the whole earth? (your bounds of integration are for the first case)

No one will know what is wrong with your attempts to use software unless you show what you input into the program.

If x and y are lengths, "atan(x*y)" doesn't make any sense. You can't take the inverse tangent of an area.

Maybe you meant atan(x/y)? Did you make the same mistake using Wolfram, etc?

First, the formula for V_zz(potensial) has been given to me by my professor, the limits I use is for testing that I can compute the integral (but I can't...). I am supposed to solve a problem about how the masses around the gravimeter is working on it. I have measured the gradient in two different places, in the basement and one level up. I am supposed to get the same gradient and potensial when I move the gravimeter up from the basement (making a model). The formula is for computing the potensial of a prism.
The ρ-value is supposed to be 2670.

Okey, so this is how I try to do it in Maxima (just the inetgral, without the constants):
integrate(integrate(integrate(-atan((x*y)/(z*sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2))),x,0,1000),y,0,1000),z,0,1);
But this will only compute the dx.

In MATLAB I am trying to use the integral3 function, like this:
Code:
f = @(x,y,z) (-atan((x.*y)./(z.*sqrt(x.^2+y.^2+z.^2))))

xmin = 0
xmax = 1000
ymin = @ (x) 0
ymax = @ (x) 1000
zmax = @ (x,y) 1
zmin = @ (x,y) 0

Q = integral3(f,xmin,xmax,ymin,ymax,zmin,zmax)
But this will have some dimensions porblems, so MATLAB won't execute.

I am not sure if I am supposed to make a bougerplate or if this is some kind of bougerplate?

1. What is a triple integral for earth potential?

A triple integral for earth potential is a mathematical model used to calculate the potential energy of the Earth's gravitational field at a specific point in space. It takes into account the mass of the Earth, the distance from the point to the center of the Earth, and the gravitational constant.

2. How is a triple integral for earth potential calculated?

A triple integral for earth potential is calculated by taking the integral of the gravitational potential function over three dimensions: x, y, and z. This involves breaking down the function into infinitesimally small pieces and adding them up to find the total potential energy.

3. Why is a triple integral for earth potential important?

A triple integral for earth potential is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects within the Earth's gravitational field. It is used in many fields such as geology, oceanography, and space exploration to study the effects of gravity on different systems.

4. What are the units of a triple integral for earth potential?

The units of a triple integral for earth potential are typically in joules (J), which is a unit of energy. However, it can also be expressed in other units such as electron volts (eV) or ergs (erg).

5. Can a triple integral for earth potential be used for other celestial bodies?

Yes, a triple integral for earth potential can be used for other celestial bodies with a spherical shape and a known mass. It follows the same principles as the Earth's potential, but the values for mass and distance would be specific to the chosen celestial body.