Trojan Removal Help: Get Rid of Vundo, Metajuan & More on XP

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
In summary: in summary, the computer was heavily infected with trojans, including vundo, and was slow and unusable. malwarebytes was able to rescue the computer and remove all of the viruses.
brandy
hi i was just wondering if anyone could help me. my computer is heavily infection with trojans. I resently installed limewire and downloaded a compressed file...yes i have learned my lesson and i shall never download a compressed file from limewire ever again.
anyways. it was acouple of virus of the trojan sort. it started as just popping up advertisments (it said Ron ads by globaladsolution). then they increased and popped up like every second and the advertisments changed. then my computer started automatically downloaded things.
i ran virus scans everyday and they all said was Packed.Generic. i couldn't clean them or delete them so i moved them to quarantine.

then the symantec antivirus started detecting trojan.Vundo and trojan.Vundo.B with counts of around 300 and when i turned on my computor the start menu didnt load and i had to use the task manager to open things. generally the start menu appeared when the internet was on and didn't when it was off but ther wer exceptions.

so i started looking for ways to get rid of it. i downloaded a symantec trojan.Vundo/.b remover. it said to turn off system restore but i couldn't find system restore in my computer propertiesn so i search my entire system for "system restore" and nothing came up. also my computer (in particular my internet) is extremely slow.

so yer my computer is pretty screwed and ill probably need to get it rebuilt but i can't do that until antoher month and a half. is ther anything i can do to find system restore and/or get rid of all the freaking viruses.

heres a list of the types i have currently showing up on symantec.
Adware.VirtMonde
AntiVirus2009
Packed.Generic.190
Trojan.Metajuan
Trojan.Vundo
Trojan.Vundo.B
Trojan.Wimad

any help is muchly appreciated. by the way the computer op system is XP pro version 2002 service pack 2.
-brandy

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm a big fan of a program called malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org. I ran it while in Safe Mode and was able to rescue my computer from a bad virus infestation (AntiVirus 2009 was one of the nasties). I found out about it by looking through some tech support forums (on another computer, as my browser was hijacked). I was able to download a free version on a flash drive and then transfer the program to my infected machine.

Try Avast...

Brandy, you should download AVAST. It identifies and removes many types of mal-ware, and it is updated daily.
http://anti-virus-solution.com/avast2/indexicc.asp

Edit: leapfrogged by the Dr!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI, I tried avast first and it didn't fix the problem.

Vundo is a particularly nasty adware trojan and it isn't picked up by regular virus software. It can be pretty difficult to eradicate, but there are people writing tools specificall for it: http://vundofix.atribune.org/

russ_watters said:
Vundo is a particularly nasty adware trojan and it isn't picked up by regular virus software. It can be pretty difficult to eradicate, but there are people writing tools specificall for it: http://vundofix.atribune.org/

Thats right...there are certain viruses/trojans that aren't picked up by general security scans. First, try looking up procedures for manually eliminating the list you have showing on symantec (each one individually). Then use software removal tools that have specific targets: one for worms, one for spyware, and so forth. Use another computer to get these tools (don't use the internet on your computer). Once you're sure your computer is safe, make sure you have a good security program. I also suggest you don't stick to limewire.

Here is a site that might help: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Last edited:
Just a little question here, are viruses considered malware? I'm thinking of downloading some anti-malware programs but I don't know if they detect and disinfect viruses as well.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm a big fan of a program called malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org. I ran it while in Safe Mode and was able to rescue my computer from a bad virus infestation (AntiVirus 2009 was one of the nasties). I found out about it by looking through some tech support forums (on another computer, as my browser was hijacked). I was able to download a free version on a flash drive and then transfer the program to my infected machine.

THANKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKS SO MUCH.
i downloaded malwarebytes and used it in safe mode and now my computer is working perfectly and all of the virus scans find no viruses.

so again. THHHAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKSSSS.
verily apreciated.

1. What is a Trojan and why do I need to remove it?

A Trojan is a type of malware that disguises itself as a legitimate program in order to gain access to your computer. It can cause serious damage by stealing personal information, slowing down your computer, or allowing other malware to enter. It is important to remove Trojans to protect your privacy and the security of your computer.

2. How do I know if I have a Trojan on my computer?

There are a few signs that may indicate the presence of a Trojan on your computer, including unusual pop-up ads, a sudden decrease in computer performance, and changes to your homepage or search engine without your permission. However, some Trojans may not show any noticeable symptoms, so it is important to regularly scan your computer for malware.

3. Can I remove Trojans manually?

In some cases, it is possible to manually remove Trojans from your computer. However, this can be a complex and time-consuming process, and it is not recommended for those without advanced technical knowledge. It is best to use a reputable antivirus software to scan and remove Trojans from your computer.

4. How can I prevent Trojans from infecting my computer?

To prevent Trojans and other malware from infecting your computer, it is important to have up-to-date antivirus software installed. You should also be cautious when downloading files from the internet or clicking on links in suspicious emails. It is also a good idea to regularly back up your important files to an external hard drive or cloud storage to protect them in case of an attack.

5. Can Trojans be removed from a Windows XP system?

Yes, Trojans can be removed from a Windows XP system. However, Microsoft ended support for Windows XP in 2014, which means that there are no longer any security updates or patches being released for this operating system. This makes it more vulnerable to malware attacks, so it is recommended to upgrade to a newer and more secure operating system if possible.