Trouble Connecting to Default Instance in SQL Server 2017 (Win10)

In summary: I cannot afford to do that just yet. And, in the meantime, trying to do some querying.In summary, I am having trouble accessing my default instance, though no trouble accessing the one named instance I have. I am told to read again after it all failed. I get a Network error message error 26: After further investigation, it seems the issue is with the VMI. I cannot connect to the VMI provider.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Trying to do some querying in my (local) SQL Server. Thing is I am having trouble accessing my default instance, though no trouble accessing the one named instance I have. I have been to Stack Overflow , read up, posted a few things, then told to read again after it all failed. I get a Network error message
error 26 :
After further investigation, it seems the issue is with the VMI. I cannot connect to the VMI provider. It seems the issue is that one of my instances is of a 32-bit copy of SQL Server and one is a version of a 64-bit copy of SQL Server (My OS is 64-bit):

.microsoft.com/en-us/help/956013/error-message-when-you-open-sql-server-configuration-manager-in-sql-se

Now, I followed up on above:
But I get the same error message and I am unable to access SQL Server Configuration Manager in Computer Management.

Sorry for the overload, I have been at this for around a week...just to be able to do some querying.

I tried to double-check the versions installed, whether they were 32-bit or 64-bit...but I don't know how to do it ...since I cannot connect to one of the versions.
SERENITY NOW!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I did not want to overload the post with add-ons, but, just in case, here is the event log from today:

Is there a way to treat it as a remote database and use tcp or odbc or jdbc to connect to it?

Likes WWGD
jedishrfu said:
Is there a way to treat it as a remote database and use tcp or odbc or jdbc to connect to it?
I never tried that, will look it up. Given the crazyness of my PC, the act of posting here may magically solve the problem. Maybe my PC is entangled with PF ( Throwing around terms I know nothing about).

Likes jedishrfu
Jedi, a probably dumb question. I am thinking on giving up on my PC. If I were to copy all my data , say in a flash drive or by using a SATA cable, would I have to reinstall all my software? I know files would travel and file structure would be preserved ( assuming we use the same OS in both).

WWGD said:
Jedi, a probably dumb question. I am thinking on giving up on my PC. If I were to copy all my data , say in a flash drive or by using a SATA cable, would I have to reinstall all my software? I know files would travel and file structure would be preserved ( assuming we use the same OS in both).
Generally, yes, because the programs are more than just the data and executables. When you install a program, it will usually make changes to the registry. I'm pretty sure you can't just copy the registry from one computer to another.

Likes WWGD and jedishrfu
Mark44 said:
Generally, yes, because the programs are more than just the data and executables. When you install a program, it will usually make changes to the registry. I'm pretty sure you can't just copy the registry from one computer to another.
Any chance of using something like Norton ghost? Wouldn't that copy internal settings? Wonder if it includes programs though. I am basically reaching here, trying to avoid the hassle. It seems we may be able to copy the data files associated with the software and then install.

Even if it is possible to copy applications over without installing them it is not a good idea - you would just copy over all the things that are broken in your current installation!

You may be better off doing the opposite: reinstall Windows and all your existing applications on your existing hardware, you will probably find it works a lot better and quicker.

I usually reckon on 2 years between so-called "bare metal" installs for Windows, but I do install and uninstall a lot of software; for a more stable set up you could get away with longer.

I think you should ditch SQL Server though - the clue is in the name, it is designed to run on servers and will never be happy sitting alongside userland apps.

Likes WWGD
pbuk said:
Even if it is possible to copy applications over without installing them it is not a good idea - you would just copy over all the things that are broken in your current installation!

You may be better off doing the opposite: reinstall Windows and all your existing applications on your existing hardware, you will probably find it works a lot better and quicker.

I usually reckon on 2 years between so-called "bare metal" installs for Windows, but I do install and uninstall a lot of software; for a more stable set up you could get away with longer.

I think you should ditch SQL Server though - the clue is in the name, it is designed to run on servers and will never be happy sitting alongside userland apps.
Thanks, but the issue with SQL Server is both that it is free and that I have spent many years training myself on it.

Honestly, you might be better off uninstalling SQL Server, and then reinstalling and keeping better track to get the correct version for your OS and exactly what options you chose during the install.

I've lost weeks of my life to setting up SQL Server locally. Once you get it, it works wonderfully, but there are many choices. In my experience, the 32-bit and 64-bit difference is unbridgeable. Your PC actually has two different ODBC configuration programs, for example--one for 32 bit and another for 64 bit. Their graphical user interfaces look exactly the same when they run, but the .exe file name is different.

I would start over. In a few hours, you'd have a clean install that you better understand.

Last edited:
Likes pbuk and WWGD
harborsparrow said:
Honestly, you might be better off uninstalling SQL Server, and then reinstalling and keeping better track to get the correct version for your OS and exactly what options you chose during the install.

I've lost weeks of my life to setting up SQL Server locally. Once you get it, it works wonderfully, but there are many choices. In my experience, the 32-bit and 64-bit difference is unbridgeable. Your PC actually has two different ODBC configuration programs, for example--one for 32 bit and another for 64 bit. They look exactly the same when the run, but the .exe file name is different.

I would start over. In a few hours, you'd have a clean install that you better understand.
Is there a way I can keep the databases in the instance I am uninstalling? Problem is I cannot connect to the instance so that I can detach them and then reattach them. Hope I have a copy of them somewhere so I can attach them. My friend has a copy. I asked him to script it and send me the script by email but that didn't work out.

Each database does exist as a file somewhere on the file system. But I've never tried to use one like that, so I don't know how. It will also have a log file that needs to be preserved. If you find those folders, just back up the whole file area.

I've always make a .bak file and then restored it, but surely it's possible to directly install the previous database files. You'd have to Google.

Note also that a database CAN exist as multiple files depending on how it was created.

Likes WWGD

1. Why am I having trouble connecting to the default instance in SQL Server 2017 on Windows 10?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Some possible causes include incorrect login credentials, firewall settings blocking the connection, or corrupted SQL Server installation.

2. How can I check if the SQL Server service is running on Windows 10?

You can check the status of the SQL Server service by opening the Services app on Windows 10 and looking for the "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" entry. If the service is not running, you can start it from there.

3. What are the default login credentials for SQL Server 2017 on Windows 10?

The default login credentials for SQL Server 2017 on Windows 10 are "sa" for the username and the password that you set during the installation process. If you do not remember the password, you can reset it using the SQL Server Configuration Manager.

4. How can I modify firewall settings to allow SQL Server connections in Windows 10?

To modify firewall settings, you can open the Windows Defender Firewall app and click on "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall." Then, click on "Change settings" and make sure that "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" and "SQL Server Browser" are checked for both private and public networks.

5. What can I do if I am still unable to connect to the default instance in SQL Server 2017 on Windows 10?

If you have checked all the possible causes mentioned above and are still unable to connect, you can try reinstalling SQL Server or contacting Microsoft support for further assistance.