Installing SQL Server Dev Config Manager (Snap in)

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
It seems SQL Server's Dev 2017 config manager does not come " built in" within , and it is now a snap in. When I try to install it through Control Panel, I get the error message: Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable.
upload_2019-3-14_13-44-59.png

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/956013/error-message-when-you-open-sql-server-configuration-manager-in-sql-se

Suggests as a work around to go to the command line and enter:
mofcomp "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server\number\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof" (**)

Where number is in the list given. BUT no numbers are assigned for versions after 2012. In my Microsoft SQL Server folder I have subfolders numbered 80,90, 110, 120, 140.

upload_2019-3-14_13-55-16.png

It would seem I should use 140 as a number in (**) above.
Is this correct?

In the page linked above, it says that the problem comes from having a 32-bit instance and another 64-bit instance, but both my instances are 64-bit.
Thanks.

EDIT: While we're at it, if someone knows how to filter within Profiler, I would appreciate any advice on how to do it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Never mind, thanks, I found a folder containing the needed file --it was 140-- and made the change, needed to compile a n .mof. Still, it did not work out, so I will uninstall and reinstall.