Trouble developing trig expression

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving the cosine of 36 degrees and how to prove it without using the right side of the equation. The participants discuss the use of trigonometric manipulation and the golden ratio to solve the problem. Ultimately, it is shown that the equation is true for an angle of 36 degrees, which is also the exterior angle of a pentagon.
frkCarl

Homework Statement

It's not a problem per se, I'm just trying something, so there's no statement. What I'm trying to do it's to prove the forllowing equation but without using the member of the right.

(cos(36º) + 1)²/(cos(36º)) = 5cos(36º)

There's the trivial answer, using both members, that it's multiply both sides by cos(36º), call it x and solve the 2nd degree equation and get the positive result. I'm not trying to do that. I'm trying to develop (cos(36º) + 1)²/(cos(36º)) and turn it into 5cos(36º).

Homework Equations

I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

For simplicity sake, let 36º = u

(cos(u) + 1)²/(cos(u))
Developing and using sin^2(u) + cos^2(u) = 1 -> [cos^2(u) + 2cos(u) + 1]/cos(u)⇔ 2cos^2(u)+2cos(u)+sin^2(x)/cos(u)

Using the double angle for cosine, cos(2x) = cos^2(u) - sin^2(u):
3cos^2(u)-cos(2u)+2cos(u) / cos(u) ⇔ (3cos^2(u)/cos(u)) + (-cos(2u)+2cos(u))/cos(u)

Here's where I got stuck. I got everything in terms of cosine but the (-cos(2u)+2cos(u))/cos(u)) is giving me some trouble. How do I handle it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps try plotting y = (cos(x) + 1)²/(cos(x)) - 5cos(x) and see if it crosses the x axis. If so, is it true for all x or just some values of x ?
Many software packages (including Excel) will treat the argument of cosine() as in radians. So keep that in mind.

If it is true for all x, then yes you can use Trig manipulation to make one expression into the other. If it is only true for some angles, then no you cannot.

scottdave said:
Perhaps try plotting y = (cos(x) + 1)²/(cos(x)) - 5cos(x) and see if it crosses the x axis. If so, is it true for all x or just some values of x ?
Many software packages (including Excel) will treat the argument of cosine() as in radians. So keep that in mind.

If it is true for all x, then yes you can use Trig manipulation to make one expression into the other. If it is only true for some angles, then no you cannot.
The equation you wrote above isn't an identity, but it is true for an angle of 36° (or ##\frac \pi 5##).

Written a regular decadon into a circle of radius r, it is easy to prove that the side of the decagon is ##a = \frac{1}{2}\left(-1+\sqrt{5}\right)##
Consider the isoceles triangle ABO. The angle at the vertex is 36° and the angles at the base are of 72°. Halve one of the 72°angle, draw the ray, it crosses the side AO at point C. ABO triangle is similar to ABC triangle, so ##\frac {r-a}{a}=\frac{a}{r}##, which results in ##a = \frac{1}{2}\left(-1+\sqrt{5}\right)##
##\cos 36°= \frac{r}{2a} =\frac {1+\sqrt 5 }{4}##

upload_2018-7-14_16-21-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-14_16-21-53.png
    upload_2018-7-14_16-21-53.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 294
Likes Charles Link

1. How do I simplify a trigonometric expression?

To simplify a trigonometric expression, you can use the trigonometric identities and rules such as the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference formulas. You can also use algebraic techniques such as factoring and combining like terms.

2. What are the common mistakes when developing a trigonometric expression?

The most common mistakes when developing a trigonometric expression include forgetting to use parentheses, not applying the correct trigonometric identities or rules, and making algebraic errors such as incorrectly distributing or combining terms.

3. How do I know if I have simplified a trigonometric expression correctly?

You can check if you have simplified a trigonometric expression correctly by plugging in values for the variables and comparing the results before and after simplification. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both the original and simplified expressions and see if they produce the same graph.

4. Can I use a calculator to simplify a trigonometric expression?

Yes, you can use a calculator to simplify a trigonometric expression, but it is important to understand the steps and rules involved in simplifying trigonometric expressions by hand. Some calculators may also use different notation or syntax, so it is important to be familiar with your calculator's features.

5. How can I practice developing trigonometric expressions?

You can practice developing trigonometric expressions by solving practice problems online, in textbooks, or creating your own problems. You can also use interactive websites or apps that generate random trigonometric expressions for you to simplify. Additionally, working with a tutor or joining a study group can also help you improve your skills in developing trigonometric expressions.