What Steps Can Resolve a Trigonometric Equation Involving Sine and Cosine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chwala
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trigonometry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
chwala
Gold Member
Messages
2,844
Reaction score
434

Homework Statement


[/B]
Solve ##2sin3x.sinx=1##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I used the identity ##( cos (A+B)= cos A cos B- sin A sin B),
(cos(A-B) = cos A cos B+sinA sinB)→
-(cos 4x-cos2x)= 2sin 3xsinx, (cos 2x-cos4x=1)##now i am stuck , is this correct_
using ##(cos 2x=2cos^2x-1)⇒(cos 4x=2cos^22x-1),→(2cos^22x-2cos^2x+1=0)##

is this correct, how do i move folks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest you use the triple angle formula for sine. It will get much simpler.
Edit: No I think your current approach is good. Solve the quadratic equation using the discriminant method.
 
chwala said:

Homework Statement


[/B]
Solve ##2sin3x.sinx=1##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I used the identity ##( cos (A+B)= cos A cos B- sin A sin B),
(cos(A-B) = cos A cos B+sinA sinB)→
-(cos 4x-cos2x)= 2sin 3xsinx, (cos 2x-cos4x=1)##now i am stuck , is this correct_
using ##(cos 2x=2cos^2x-1)⇒(cos 4x=2cos^22x-1),→(2cos^22x-2cos^2x+1=0)##

is this correct, how do i move folks
Substitute 2cos2(2x)-1 for cos(4x) into the equation cos(2x)-cos(4x)=1, and solve for cos(2x) .
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chwala
Are you suggesting i use ##sin 3x≡3sin x- 4sin^3x##
 
ehild said:
Substitute 2cos2(2x)-1 for cos(4x) into the equation cos(2x)-cos(4x)=1, and solve for cos(2x) .
ehild said:
Substitute 2cos2(2x)-1 for cos(4x) into the equation cos(2x)-cos(4x)=1, and solve for cos(2x) .
ehild hahahahahahahha that is what i was looking for lol, greetings from Africa bro
 
chwala said:
Are you suggesting i use sin3x≡3sinx−4sin3x
No.. I edited my previous post. I was talking about the approach in #3, but it looks like I misread your quadratic equation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chwala
in that case i just have to solve ## cos 2x(2cos 2x-1)=0## thanks folks
 
cnh1995 said:
I'd suggest you use the triple angle formula for sine. It will get much simpler.
Edit: No I think your current approach is good. Solve the quadratic equation using the discriminant method.
what do you mean by saying solve the quadratic using discriminant method...
 
chwala said:
ehild hahahahahahahha that is what i was looking for lol, greetings from Africa bro
grandma. :) You are welcome.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS and cnh1995
cnh1995 said:
Well, I read the equation wrong and thought it was a quadratic equation in 2x while it actually contains 2x as well as x. The discriminant method is used to solve quadratic equations.
The name is "quadratic formula" . Discriminant method is something different.