1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble understanding the answer

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person walks in a straight line from point A to point B at a constant speed of 5.00m/s and walks back from point b to point a, with a constant speed at 3.00 m/s. What is the average speed of the entire trip.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I know how to solve this problem.

[tex] 5.00m/s = \frac {d}{t_1} [/tex]
    and

[tex] -3.00 m/s = -\frac{d}{t_2}[/tex]

Therefore
    [tex] V_avg = \frac{Total Distance}{Total Time}= \frac{d+d}{\frac{d}{5.00m/s}+\frac{d}{3.00m.s}}[/tex]

Some simple math and we end up with answer of 3.75 m/s

And that is the answer in the book. The problem is I only got this after I realized my first attempt was wrong and I couldn't figure out why. I tracked down the problem to the simple fact that I didn't write -3.00m/s. I don't particularly understand why it would be -3.00m/s

The way I thought about this initial was that average speed, the direction doesn't matter since they are not vectors, so when I wrote [tex] 3.00=\frac{d}{t_2} [/tex] it made sense to me. So I guess my question is, why is it negative and not just positive? Maybe i'm just so tired tonight.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Since it says avg speed, you don't use minus 3m/s just 3 m/s

Distance from a to b is the same as distance from b to a

(2 * d) / ( t1 + t2 ) = avg speed

Just sub in for the t values and simplify.

I think the problem is stated wrong in your book as the minus 3 m/s in the answer implies avg velocity and velocity is direction dependent.

4. Feb 10, 2012 #3
    You know what, I think you just confirmed that my brain was fried because as I reworked it, it became obvious -_-. Now I feel a bit like an idiot. I'll take this as a sign I need sleep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook