1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with Conservation of Energy And Friction

1. Mar 9, 2014 #1

MrBillyShears

Gold Member

Ok, I'm driving myself mad, so if someone could settle this for me, that would be helpful. So, I'm imagining something like a hockey puck going across ice and coming to a stop. I'm trying to account for the initial energy, Ei, and the final energy, Ef. So this hockey puck starts with a velocity, v0, a mass, m, and of course under the influence of gravity, g. So, its Ei is.5mv02. Now, to account for the heat released, you use Ethk∫ndx, (n is the normal force). Now, since n is constant in this case, it reduces to EthknΔx. Now we find Δx by finding the time it takes for the puck to come to rest, at+v0=0, -μkgt+v0=0, then we put that time in for the formula, .5at2+v0t=Δx. Then, we set Ei equal to Eth, but I get .5mv02=.5v02, so, what happened to the m? Why am I not getting equal things?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2014 #2

MrBillyShears

Gold Member

Never mind, my mistake. Don't know how to delete it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook