1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with Solving a Differential Equation

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1
    I'm having trouble with the following textbook problem:

The only basic approach for solving differential equations that I know is to "separate and integrate", that is, have one side with P's and a dP, and the other side with t's and a dt (constants anywhere throughout), and then integrate both sides. So, what I was hoping to get was kM * something * dt = kP * something * dP. However, it looks like that's not going to happen. Could someone help me solve this thing?

I know that if "M is the maximum level of performance", then logically [tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} P(t) = M[/tex]. However, I'm still not sure how to actually find the function P(t).

Thanks for any help you can give. :smile:
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2006 #2

It's easily separable just divide by by M-P and you have a pretty standard integral to find the function P.
  4. Feb 5, 2006 #3
    Ah, of course! I guess my first mistake was distributing the k. Dividing brings me to [tex]\frac{dP}{M - P} = kdt[/tex], and integrating both sides gives me [tex]-ln|M - P| = kt + c[/tex]. Going from there:

[tex]ln|M - P| = -kt - c[/tex]
    [tex]e^{-kt - c} = M - P[/tex]
    [tex]P = M - e^{-kt - c}[/tex]
    I think I'm doing something very wrong here. The answer in the back of the book is [tex]P(t) = M - Me^{-kt}[/tex].

I'm thinking I've made a really stupid mistake, but I can't find it. Can anyone help?
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  5. Feb 6, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you left out part of the problem- like, say, the information that the subject knew nothing to start with? That is, that P(0)= 0.

[tex]P(t) = M - e^{-kt - c}= M- (e^{-c})e^{-kt}[/tex]
    and we can write that as
    [tex]P(t)= M- C e^{-kt}[/tex]
    where [itex] C= e^{-c}[/itex].

Then, if P(0)= 0,
    [tex]P(0)= M- Ce^0= M- C= 0[/tex]
    so C= M.

Actually that's not relevant to the final question: what is the limit of P(t) as t goes to infinity? That answer does not depend on C.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?