Troubleshooting Semiconductor Problems: Calculating Ef - Ev at T=300K

In summary, a semiconductor is a material with conductivity between an insulator and a conductor. Common problems with semiconductors include defects, contamination, and issues with electrical contacts. These can be diagnosed using specialized equipment and fixed by repairing or replacing components, using chemical treatments, or adjusting the manufacturing process. While not always preventable, steps can be taken to reduce the likelihood of semiconductor problems.
kizersi5
Question:

Silicon at T=300k contains acceptor impurity atoms at a density of Na=7*10^15 cm^-3. Determine Ef - Ev.

My solution:

By using the formula Ef -Ev= KT ln(Nv/Na) fermi energy type I had trouble computing this formula due to not having the value of Nv. So, I would appreciate if anyone who has the know how to help me obtain Nv?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanx so much.

Related to Troubleshooting Semiconductor Problems: Calculating Ef - Ev at T=300K

1. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of an insulator and a conductor. This means that it can conduct electricity, but not as well as a metal. Common examples of semiconductors include silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide.

2. What are some common problems with semiconductors?

Some common problems with semiconductors include defects in the crystal structure, contamination during manufacturing, and issues with the electrical contacts. These problems can lead to reduced performance or failure of the device.

3. How are semiconductor problems diagnosed?

Semiconductor problems are typically diagnosed by using specialized equipment such as electronic testers or microscope techniques. These tools can identify defects or irregularities in the material or device that may be causing issues.

4. What can be done to fix semiconductor problems?

Depending on the specific problem, there are a few different solutions for fixing semiconductor problems. This can include repairing or replacing the damaged component, using chemical treatments to remove contaminants, or adjusting the manufacturing process to prevent future issues.

5. Can semiconductor problems be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent semiconductor problems completely, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the likelihood of issues. This includes carefully controlling the manufacturing process, maintaining clean environments during production, and regularly testing and inspecting the devices.