Troublesome coefficient of variation question.

In summary, to calculate the coefficient of variation, we divide the standard deviation by the mean. The larger the c.v., the more variable the values are around the mean. For the given data, the c.v. for A is 0.1, for B is 0.25, and for C is 0.14. This means that B has the largest variability, followed by C, and A has the least variability. By drawing the bell curves for each investment, we can visually see the variability of the data and determine that A is the least risky investment, followed by C and then B.
th_05
Given the following data for three possibile investments, A, B and C, calculate the coefficient of variation and with the aid of a diagram explain which is the least risky investment.

Expected Profit: A - 100 B - 120 C - 140
Standard Devi.: A - 10 B - 30 C - 20

I presume to calculate the COV you divide the standard deviation by the mean, to give you:

A: 100/10 = 0.1 B: 30/120 = 0.25 C: 20/140 = 0.14

I am struggling with how/what sort of diagram to use and how to explain which is the least risky investment. Any ideas would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you to assume that the underlying distributions are normal for each investment? If so, you have the mean and standard deviation for each investment; draw the bell curves.

For evaluating which is riskiest: the use of the coefficient of variation is pretty informal: begin by stating, in your own words, what the c.v. tells you (I don't mean in terms of what percentage of the mean the standard deviation is, I mean the interpretation). You may find yourself answering the question when you do that.

statdad said:
Are you to assume that the underlying distributions are normal for each investment? If so, you have the mean and standard deviation for each investment; draw the bell curves.

For evaluating which is riskiest: the use of the coefficient of variation is pretty informal: begin by stating, in your own words, what the c.v. tells you (I don't mean in terms of what percentage of the mean the standard deviation is, I mean the interpretation). You may find yourself answering the question when you do that.

Thanks very much. It is normal distribution yes, I have not used c.v. before so what exactly does this tell me? And shall I draw out a curve for each investment?

The c.v. gives the size of the standard deviation relative to the mean. For a problem in which c.v. - 12.5%, the standard deviation is 12.5% as large as the mean. (we usually report the c.v. as a percentage). It is a measure of "relative variability" - meaning it is one way to compare the variability of different groups. Loosely speaking, the larger the c.v., the more variable (spread out) the data values are around the mean.

Try this: consider two normal distributions, one with mean 100 and sigma = 20, the other with mean 100 and sigma = 35. Draw each of them, as accurately as possible, and note which curve is "fatter". Now compare the c.v.s for each: the fatter curve has the larger c.v.

That little example is easily visualized because the two means are equal, but the same concept will apply in your problem: the larger the c.v., the more variable the values around the mean.

For your second question, yes, draw the appropriate bell curve for each group - again, as accurately as possible.

1. What is the coefficient of variation?

The coefficient of variation (CV) is a statistical measure used to measure the variability or dispersion of a data set relative to its mean. It is calculated by dividing the standard deviation of the data by the mean and expressing it as a percentage.

2. How is the coefficient of variation interpreted?

The coefficient of variation is typically used to compare the variability of different data sets. A lower CV indicates that the data points are close to the mean, while a higher CV indicates that the data points are more spread out from the mean. Generally, a CV of less than 10% is considered low, while a CV of more than 20% is considered high.

3. What is considered a troublesome coefficient of variation?

A troublesome coefficient of variation is one that is difficult to interpret or may indicate issues with the data. This could include a CV that is too high or too low, or a CV that does not accurately represent the variability of the data.

4. How can a troublesome coefficient of variation be addressed?

If a troublesome coefficient of variation is identified, it is important to investigate the data further to understand the underlying causes. This could include checking for outliers, ensuring the data is normally distributed, and considering alternative statistical measures if the CV is not appropriate for the data set.

5. Can the coefficient of variation be used to compare data sets with different units?

No, the coefficient of variation should only be used to compare data sets with the same units. When comparing data sets with different units, other statistical measures such as the standard deviation or range should be used instead.