Propogation of Coefficient Standard Deviations using Derivatives

In summary: Take the covariance matrix of the error variances-Apply the Euler-Lagrange equation to get the unknown derivatives- solve for the unknowns and use the expressions for the standard deviation of a function from calculusIn summary, the standard deviation of the derivative solution at a particular point in time can be calculated by:-Taking the covariance matrix of the error variances-Applying the Euler-Lagrange equation to get the unknown derivatives-Solving for the unknowns and using the expressions for the standard deviation of a function from calculus.
jbeardsley
Hi all,

This is my first post here. As a bit of background I have a keen interest in mathematics, but I'm not necessarily strong in it...

Today I was working with a dataset that models difference in elevation values (dH) over time (x). I have approximately 20 samples, of which each dH value has a different uncertainty (time is considered error free). The model is quite clearly non-linear, so I performed a quadratic regression using a weighted ordinary Least Squares routine to solve for the highlighted coefficients below, weighting the observations to account for their uncertainty.

dH = ax2+bx+c

The coefficients were derived successfully and the model fits well, as confirmed through statistical tests. Check.

As part of the Least Squares routine, I also calculated the standard deviation for each of the parameters (i.e. quadratic coefficients), as this is important to my analysis. This was done by calculating the variance factor (VF), then quality matrix (Qx), then taking √(diagonal(Qx)) = standard deviation. So the net result is three coefficients, a, b and c, each with their own standard deviation. Check.

Here comes the part where I'm stuck (and the basis for my question). I need to calculate the derivative of the resulting quadratic function, i.e. the rate of change of dH, and evaluate it at a particular point in time. Calculating the derivative itself is straightforward:

Derivative(dH) = 2ax + b

What I'm confused about is how I calculate the standard deviation of the derivative solution at a particular point in time? I'm assuming this requires some form of propagation of variances from the quadratic coefficent standard deviations, but I'm unsure how that works when a derivative is involved...

To clarify, let's say that coefficient a = 3 (std dev = 0.3), b = 7 (std dev = 0.45) and c = 2 (std dev = 0.15), and I want to evaluate the rate of change of dH (i.e. Derivative(dH)) at x = 4.

2*3*4 + 7 = 31

But how do I calculate the standard deviation of the answer? Is it as simple as substituting the respective coefficient standard deviations into the equation? I.e.:

2*0.3*4 + 0.45 = 2.85

I have tried searching for an explanation across the web without success. Can someone please shed some light on this, or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, that does not work.
Propagation of uncertainty

If your coefficients are uncorrelated, you have to add the variances (the squared standard deviations) that come from the individual uncertainty contributions:

##2^2\cdot 0.3^2 \cdot 4^2 + 0.45^2 = 5.96##, the standard deviation is then the square root of this value, 2.44.
This is a way to use the formula given in the link above.

However, your coefficients are not uncorrelated - you will have to consider the correlation between them, as shown in the example there (and you have to calculate that correlation first). There are fitting procedures that can do everything for you, there is no need to calculate that manually.

hi,
first of all, your problem is actually a linear fitting problem as linearity is defined in data fitting with respect to the model parameters (a, b, c in your case) and is not related to the condition under which the experiment was performed (x in your model).
Please have a look at the textbook 'Data Fitting and Uncertainty (A practical introduction to weighted least squares and beyond)'. In Chapter 4 there is a nice explanation of what you like to know. The key word is 'error propagation'.

1. What is the concept of "propagation of coefficient standard deviations using derivatives"?

The propagation of coefficient standard deviations using derivatives is a mathematical technique used to calculate the uncertainty in a dependent variable that is derived from multiple independent variables with known uncertainties.

2. How is this concept applied in scientific research?

This concept is commonly used in scientific research to analyze and report the uncertainty in measurements and calculations. It allows for a more accurate and precise representation of the data and results.

3. What are the benefits of using this technique?

Using this technique allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the data and results, as it takes into account the uncertainties in the independent variables. It also helps in making informed decisions and drawing conclusions based on the data.

4. Can you provide an example of how this concept is used in a scientific study?

Sure, in a study analyzing the relationship between temperature and reaction rate, the propagation of coefficient standard deviations using derivatives can be used to determine the uncertainty in the reaction rate due to the uncertainty in the temperature measurements.

5. Are there any limitations to this technique?

One limitation of this technique is that it assumes the uncertainties in the independent variables are independent and normally distributed. If this is not the case, the results may not accurately reflect the true uncertainty in the dependent variable. Additionally, it may not work well for highly non-linear relationships between the variables.