Temperature of a bar to produce certain force on wall

In summary: Treat it as two separate processes. The bars are heated by some amount ΔT, so they expand by two different amounts. Then each is compressed by whatever force is necessary to restore it to its original length.
songoku

Homework Statement

A brass bar and a steel bar, each 0.8 m long are at a temperature of 20oC. Each bar is placed at that temperature between rigid walls 0.8 m apart. The cross - sectional areas for the brass and steel bars are 0.005 m2 and 0.003 m2, respectively. The coefficient of linear expansion and Young modulus of the two materials are given in previous page. The temperature is raised until the combined force exerted by the two bars is 1.8 MN. The temperature at which this occurs, in oC is closest to
a. 100
b. 110
c. 120
d. 130
e. 140

Homework Equations

P = F/A
Young Modulus = stress / strain
stress = force / area
strain = extension / original length
ΔL = α . Lo . ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure I understand the set - up explained by the question. I imagine the two bars are placed parallel to each other between rigid walls. Is this correct?

Then the two bars are heated so they expand and push the walls, creating force. The total force of 1.8 MN is force by brass + force by steel.

If the bars are heated to same final temperature, the extension of each bar will be different even though they are placed between rigid walls. Is this possible?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
If the bars are heated to same final temperature, the extension of each bar will be different even though they are placed between rigid walls.
There is (for the purpose of the question) no actual extension. You are supposed to assume that shortening of each bar due to its compression exactly compensates the extension due to its raised temperature.

haruspex said:
There is (for the purpose of the question) no actual extension. You are supposed to assume that shortening of each bar due to its compression exactly compensates the extension due to its raised temperature.

The bar is compressed? How can it undergo compression? The length of the bar and separation of rigid walls are the same so I don't understand how the bar is compressed.

Thanks

songoku said:
The bar is compressed? How can it undergo compression? The length of the bar and separation of rigid walls are the same so I don't understand how the bar is compressed.

Thanks
Because it tries to expand but can't.

haruspex said:
Because it tries to expand but can't.
Oh I see. So what formula can I used to calculate the change in temperature? I can not use ΔL = α . Lo . ΔT because ΔL = 0 and strain is also zero

songoku said:
Oh I see. So what formula can I used to calculate the change in temperature? I can not use ΔL = α . Lo . ΔT because ΔL = 0 and strain is also zero
Treat it as two separate processes. The bars are heated by some amount ΔT, so they expand by two different amounts. Then each is compressed by whatever force is necessary to restore it to its original length.

Thank you very much haruspex

What is the relationship between the temperature of a bar and the force it produces on a wall?

The relationship between the temperature of a bar and the force it produces on a wall is known as thermal expansion. As the temperature of a bar increases, its molecules vibrate more and require more space, causing the bar to expand. This expansion can result in the bar exerting a greater force on a wall.

Does the type of material affect the temperature required to produce a certain force on a wall?

Yes, the type of material does affect the temperature required to produce a certain force on a wall. Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, which means they will expand at different rates when exposed to the same temperature. This can result in varying amounts of force being exerted on a wall.

Can the temperature of a bar be controlled to produce a specific force on a wall?

Yes, the temperature of a bar can be controlled to produce a specific force on a wall. By monitoring and adjusting the temperature of the bar, scientists and engineers can manipulate the amount of thermal expansion and ultimately control the force exerted on a wall.

What factors besides temperature can affect the force produced by a bar on a wall?

Besides temperature, there are several other factors that can affect the force produced by a bar on a wall. These include the type and properties of the material, the length and thickness of the bar, and the surface area of contact between the bar and the wall.

Are there any safety concerns to consider when working with bars at high temperatures?

Yes, there are safety concerns to consider when working with bars at high temperatures. Depending on the type of material, the bar may become very hot and potentially cause burns. In addition, thermal expansion can cause structural damage or failure if not properly accounted for. It is important to follow safety protocols and take necessary precautions when working with high temperatures and thermal expansion.