1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Troublesome coefficient of variation question

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    Given the following data for three possibile investments, A, B and C, calculate the coefficient of variation and with the aid of a diagram explain which is the least risky investment.

Expected Profit: A - 100 B - 120 C - 140
    Standard Devi.: A - 10 B - 30 C - 20

I presume to calculate the COV you divide the standard deviation by the mean, to give you:

A: 100/10 = 0.1 B: 30/120 = 0.25 C: 20/140 = 0.14

I am struggling with how/what sort of diagram to use and how to explain which is the least risky investment. Any ideas would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In your first calculation for COV, you have 100/10 and you should probably have 10/100.

Neither of the statistics books I have has a definition for coefficient of variation, so that's a new one on me.

Something that might be helpful is that in a normal distribution, about 69% of the values fall within one standard deviation of the mean. If the profits in these investments are normally distributed, then for investment A, we would expect that 69% of the time the profit would be between $90 and $110. If you look at each of the other investments in a similar manner you'll get a range of possible profits for each, so maybe you can determine the relative risk in this way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook