True/False relativity question.

• Thread starter bayan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reaching the star alpha centauri in less than 4.25 light years. It is stated that it is impossible for any rocket from Earth to reach this star in less than 4.25 light years, as this is the amount of time it takes for light from the star to reach Earth. The question regarding in which frame the answer is requested is clarified to be in the Earth frame, as the facts given in the question are also in this frame. It is advised to not overcomplicate the problem and to not assume that the answer is "false".
bayan

Homework Statement

The star alpha centauri is 4.25 light years from us, so it takes its light 4.25 years to reach earth. It is impossible, in principle, for any rocket from Earth ever to reach this star in less than 4.25 light years.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first answer was that the statement was false as length contraction would make the journey distance shorter for rockets F.O.R and the accepted answer is true, which leads me to the conclusion that they must mean 4.25years in Earth's F.O.R

I would like to know how I could identify in which frame they requested the answer in the problem above.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bayan! :smile:
bayan said:
The star alpha centauri is 4.25 light years from us, so it takes its light 4.25 years to reach earth. It is impossible, in principle, for any rocket from Earth ever to reach this star in less than 4.25 light years.

I would like to know how I could identify in which frame they requested the answer in the problem above.

the facts given in the question are clearly written in the Earth frame, so you should assume that the question itself is also :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi bayan! :smile:

the facts given in the question are clearly written in the Earth frame, so you should assume that the question itself is also :wink:

Thanks for your reply, so unless there is a specified frame I should just use the one with respect to which data is given? Also is my answer of saying that statement is "false" wrong?

yes! … don't make the questions more difficult than they already are! :biggrin:

(and you "false" was wrong)

I would like to clarify that the statement is true. The distance between Earth and Alpha Centauri is indeed 4.25 light years, and it would take a rocket from Earth at least 4.25 years to reach the star. This is because the concept of length contraction only applies to objects moving at high velocities relative to each other, and the distance between Earth and Alpha Centauri is vast enough that the effects of length contraction would be negligible.

Furthermore, it is important to note that the concept of length contraction is a theoretical concept in the theory of relativity and has not been proven or observed in real-life scenarios. Therefore, it is not a reliable method for calculating the actual travel time to a distant star like Alpha Centauri.

In terms of identifying the frame of reference, it is important to clearly define the reference frame before attempting to solve a problem. In this case, the frame of reference is Earth's frame of reference, as the distance is measured from Earth to Alpha Centauri. In general, it is always important to specify the frame of reference in any problem involving relativity to avoid confusion and ensure accurate solutions.

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by gravity. There are two main theories of relativity: special relativity and general relativity.

What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames, including those affected by gravity. Additionally, general relativity includes the concept of spacetime curvature, while special relativity does not.

What is the principle of relativity?

The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or position. This means that there is no preferred frame of reference, and all motion is relative.

How is time dilation related to relativity?

Time dilation is a consequence of special relativity, which states that time passes at different rates for objects in different reference frames. This means that time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds.

Is the theory of relativity proven?

Yes, the theory of relativity has been extensively tested and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects in space and time. Its predictions have been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations, making it one of the most well-supported theories in physics.